2ndGenRAM2500

Car
1998 Dodge Ram 2500
Restoring a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 and looking to upgrade the with a turbo and intercooler. I know this is not common and no one wastes time with the 5.9L Magnum, but this is my choice. This is not the 5.9L diesel. Is this even practical, and what is the lowest cost kit that will give me a little boost off the start?

Going from NA to turbo is a bit hard, there is the problem of compression ratio, internal components and their strength, intake piping and oil feed for turbo etc just bolting it on the engine would probably blow it up, what are you after power wise, can you tell me more about the engine?

Going from NA to turbo is a bit hard, there is the problem of compression ratio, internal components and their strength, intake piping and oil feed for turbo etc just bolting it on the engine would probably blow it up, what are you after power wise, can you tell me more about the engine?
I think my biggest frustration is how slow it accelerates from a complete stop. I know this is a heavy duty truck and was not designed for speed, but the acceleration is just painful. Hoping a turbo would fix that, but open to other suggestions.

Just realized I didn’t fully answer your question. It is a 5.9L Dodge V8 (360 CI) Magnum engine completely bone stock except for the K/N intake. Block, cylinder heads and exhaust headers are all cast iron.

You would need to find out what others say about internal parts, what power they can handle stock, then stay under that number and wiggle in a turbo or completely rebuild the engine for turbocharging. Which one would you go for in that sense?

You would need to find out what others say about internal parts, what power they can handle stock, then stay under that number and wiggle in a turbo or completely rebuild the engine for turbocharging. Which one would you go for in that sense?
I prefer not to rebuild the engine at this time. So where would I find the numbers you speak of? Is there a website that will do the math for me?

You would have to find people that tune this engine or rebuild them, forums or mechanic shops and ask them what the stock engine can handle in terms of power. It's also wise to ask about the transmission, how much torque it can handle and such so you dont make costly mistakes, all of it is a fickle thing of balance.

Waynne the admin here and I would like to personally extend a sincere welcome to TorqueCars. I apologize for the delay in responding; I've had a really busy period recently, but I believe I've caught up now.

I'm sure you'll fit right in, and I'm looking forward to "talking cars" with you.

I enjoy the idea of this project, and I'm a big fan of all kinds of automotive projects in whatever form it takes from cars to project ideas.

What modifications have you previously done, and which ones would you recommend? Is there anything you'd want us to write about on our main site? - The feedback we get from our members has a significant impact on the research and information we produce.

We have a wealth of information on our website and in this forum, so don't be shy about asking questions or sharing your own experiences and insights. We're all here to help each other out.

A lot of people say we're the nicest car community around, and we're always happy to provide a helping hand.

Enjoy your stay with us, post as much as you can, and feel free to ask questions or start new topics and debates. Your thoughts and opinions on our current issues and hot polls are always welcome.

Has our new TV channel caught your attention? When you've had a chance to watch it, please let us know what you think of it. https://www.youtube.com/torquecars