Active Sub recommendation please!

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
I currently have a Pioneer 8" (thought it was 10") sub with a built in 150watt amp. I need to upgrade this really as I have become quite used to the bass level now and could do with a little more :)

It needs to be an active sub again i.e built in amp and not so big that I struggle to carry my work related equipment around in the boot.

Was thinking along the lines of a 10" with at least 300 watts RMS?
Can anyone suggest a couple of units that might be suitable? small in size but big on sound!

Money is not an issue here, just want top performance ;)

I've been looking at active subs too, I've got a small Blaupunkt THb200a sub thats good but a bit small & I'm thinking of getting one of these,

Actually heard that Blaupunkt on saturday at H&M Electronics in East London and even though it was in the shop on a display stand, not too impressed :(

The infinity looks a little more like it but will need to audition it first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still interviewing :) hoping to audition a Kicker 300 watt square sub this weekend, will let you know how it performs ;)

When you audition the subs do they put them in the car for you or do you have to listen to it in the shop?

Have to listen in the shop! I can listen to them in the car but will have to pay an hours labour charge for the chap to fit and swap the subs under test! you would have thought that they would have waivered this fee as I told him, that money is no object! :sad2:

That's gay, it's going to sound completely different in a shop.
I'm itching to upgrade mine but new ICE is at the bottom of the list atm. :amuse:

Well the Lotto people are doing something new called: Plus 5 on the ordinary lottery! so have splurged out 10 lucky dips on this for this Saturday night! so if it comes up, the new SUB/ICE will be yours! courtesy of the mighty T9 man! :bigsmile:

Have to listen in the shop! I can listen to them in the car but will have to pay an hours labour charge for the chap to fit and swap the subs under test! you would have thought that they would have waivered this fee as I told him, that money is no object! :sad2:

I'd be inclined to ask the salesman if he is and how confident that his shop can meet your requirements?
If he's confident that they have a product for you then they should let you listen to them all in your car.
It's only 3 wires so it's not that time consuming.
Remember in places like this you want to be in control.
I'd tell them that I wanted to listen to them in the car before a purchase is made and if they try and charge you for that then i'd walk away as there are plenty of ICE shops out there that will let you listen in car.;)

I'd be inclined to ask the salesman if he is and how confident that his shop can meet your requirements?
If he's confident that they have a product for you then they should let you listen to them all in your car.
It's only 3 wires so it's not that time consuming.
Remember in places like this you want to be in control.
I'd tell them that I wanted to listen to them in the car before a purchase is made and if they try and charge you for that then i'd walk away as there are plenty of ICE shops out there that will let you listen in car.;)

Good call TN ;) I see the wisdom in your words, I think I am going to do just as you suggested :)

Your welcome buddy.
You have to remember in these sort of shops your more or less in control so the salesman will normally bend over backwards to secure a sale.
Alot are commission based too so those types will try harder to make a sale.;)

Anybody wishing to hear a sub play properly needs to listen to other cars before buying any sub really.If you have a boot listen to a boot install, if you have a hatchback then listen to a hatchback.There are loads of audio meets going on all over the country.A sub in a box or wall in a shop will not sound the same as in the car.Active subs are ok as everyone needs boot space but and a big but is the cost and sound.You will get far more bang (or bass in our case) for buck from a separate sub/box and separate amp.The amps are really small nowadays compared to the amps of years ago.

A good point and well made. I'm glad you've identified the fact that bass isn't automatically boom and bang.

Amps are indeed much smaller. This is due in the most part, to Class D or Class T output stages, which are effectively switched mode stages. They can be very fussy about output impedance.

The technology isn't new, Peavey was using this type of configuration for concert PA systems right back in 1984. They worked well and by all accounts were disgustingly reliable.

One of the most important things about having a sub in the boot is .... how much space your willing to give up. Then and only then, can you even think of what sub you wish to install and, do i go for ported box (louder) :D or sealed box (more controlled).......not forgetting sub face up or facing back. :)

One of the most important things about having a sub in the boot is .... how much space your willing to give up. Then and only then, can you even think of what sub you wish to install and, do i go for ported box (louder) :D or sealed box (more controlled).......not forgetting sub face up or facing back. :)

And there you have it :) Space! not being just the final frontier ;)
but also of paramount importance in my boot.

As an engineer I have to carry a certain amount of equipment in the boot at all times, Toolbox, laptop, test equipment, and on ocassion a Sainsburys shopping run, you get the idea! :)

So a small but powerful active sub to replace my tired 7 yo Pioneer sub, is now top of my list.
I am well aware that I have some sacrifices to make with regards to the sound and size that is available to me :( but that's life!

Cheers mate.
I know Infinty also do something similar but with two passive radiators & a single ten inch sub but you can't put stuff on top if it like the Pioneer.

The Pioneer does look like a neat soloution of you want to keep boot space. :D

I quite like their spare wheel soloution too! :D

Last edited:
You would be better off just making a false floor for the amp or amps and putting a good sub in the wheel well and then carry some tyre weld around. :bigsmile:
Or just put some subs in the rear doors.
Or amps on the side of the boot.

It also depends a lot on what type of music you listen to, if you listen to hip-hop or RnB or rap etc then a ported enclosure is more preferable due to the deep low responce bass they can produce, but if you're a rock/metal fan then a sealed enclosure is more preferable because of the faster, tighter sound which will be able to keep up with the fast guitar and drum riffs.
I have an active sub made by Fusion, this one in fact:
http://www.fusionelectronics.com/un...nclosures-8/enat1100-24-product.aspx#addninfo

and it's a pretty decent bit of kit, and I bought it for £70 off my mate a couple of years ago and I'm quite happy with it. But because I am a metal fan it's not totally ideal for me but it does the job....

It's rated at 300watts but I'm not sure if thats peak or RMS (i'd imagin it's peak)

It also depends a lot on what type of music you listen to, if you listen to hip-hop or RnB or rap etc then a ported enclosure is more preferable due to the deep low responce bass they can produce, but if you're a rock/metal fan then a sealed enclosure is more preferable because of the faster, tighter sound which will be able to keep up with the fast guitar and drum riffs.
I have an active sub made by Fusion, this one in fact:
http://www.fusionelectronics.com/un...nclosures-8/enat1100-24-product.aspx#addninfo

and it's a pretty decent bit of kit, and I bought it for £70 off my mate a couple of years ago and I'm quite happy with it. But because I am a metal fan it's not totally ideal for me but it does the job....

It's rated at 300watts but I'm not sure if thats peak or RMS (i'd imagin it's peak)

Aah ha! so this is where it gets a little more complicated Jarrus ;)
My tastes are rather eclectic, I listen to HipHop, RnB, Garage, Jazz, Reggae, Opera and Classical music. Because the bass requirements are rather different for each Genre of music! IMO, silly question coming up here! :embarrest:

Is there an active gizmo that can give me a few preset (bass only)settings for the different types of music that I listen too, that somehow I can control from inside the car via a hardwired link or remote control?

You could have two subs one closed, one open & switch between the two. :blink::amuse:

I've seen subs with foam plugs in the ports, I assume you can adjust the amount of rolling bass you want or plug up all the ports for more punchy music.

You could have two subs one closed, one open & switch between the two. :blink::amuse:

I've seen subs with foam plugs in the ports, I assume you can adjust the amount of rolling bass you want or plug up all the ports for more punchy music.

And there's the problem Loz, space! nothings easy in the car audio world :)

You could use a graffic equaliser of some sort.

There's nothing new about it either, but then again are you using the standard Saab stereo system? (by that I mean any factory fit Saab stereo be it included in the standard spec or an optional extra)

From what you've told me though a ported enclosure would seem to be better, but if you can said information I may be able to help you futher :)

If you do still choose the acvtive sub route some come with or have as an optional extra, a wired remote control that a allows you to adjust the Gain & the crossover level form the front of the car.

You could use a graffic equaliser of some sort.

There's nothing new about it either, but then again are you using the standard Saab stereo system? (by that I mean any factory fit Saab stereo be it included in the standard spec or an optional extra)

From what you've told me though a ported enclosure would seem to be better, but if you can said information I may be able to help you futher :)

Cheers Jarrus, the car has a standard but enhanced factory fitted option called a Premier 300! this consists of a factory head unit which has a built in 6 disc cd changer, 13 speakers of which 2 are subs (sub by name but not by nature! if you catch my drift!) and 1 is a spatial sound front dashboard speaker. "300" is for the 300 watt amplifier which is split to drive the 2 subs and 2 rear 6x9" rear shelf coaxial speakers.

The signal has since been interrupted and diverted through a couple of Alpine amps which resupplies the car speakers for more ooomph! ;)

If you do still choose the acvtive sub route some come with or have as an optional extra, a wired remote control that a allows you to adjust the Gain & the crossover level form the front of the car.

Was not aware of this! I shall make this part of my new Active Sub search now :)

Is it possible to swap out the two factory subs & fit better quality ones in the same holes/space?

Possible I suppose! they are 6" round ones which are fitted in the rear parcel shelf and are open to the boot space, hence my "sub by name and not by nature" statement. I remember walking back to the service desk when the system upgrade was fitted at the dealership and claiming that they had forgot to fit the subs! they were pants quite frankly!

Maybe a proper acoustic (stealth) shelf would improve matters. You can get them made up to look like your. original shelf & the speakers are still hidden from view.

Maybe a proper acoustic (stealth) shelf would improve matters. You can get them made up to look like your. original shelf & the speakers are still hidden from view.

Stealth Shelf!!!! you have got to be kidding me :amazed:
Learn something new everyday on here :bigsmile: will look into this as option as well Loz, Many thanks for the help ;)

the best suggestion so far is that 1 loz posted that seems to suit your requirements!
but have you considered the 1's you can mount under your seats??
this could be another option for you;)

but me personally if it where my car i would go with the false floor
pics of when i did mine

as you can see the boot space is still retained but with that little extra bass you are after;)

Bloody hell, I'm supprised he isn't confused with all the idea we are chucking at him.

Stealth shelf would probably suit your requirement the best as it would mean you could mount a couple of 10" subs in it (they would be hidden under the cloth shelf) and you could also mount an amp underneath on it thus taking up no boot floor space.

Simples :)

the best suggestion so far is that 1 loz posted that seems to suit your requirements!
but have you considered the 1's you can mount under your seats??
this could be another option for you;)

but me personally if it where my car i would go with the false floor
pics of when i did mine

as you can see the boot space is still retained but with that little extra bass you are after;)

Seats are electric with no room under them what so ever! unless the subs come in a Heinz Baked Beans Tin :lol:

Bloody hell, I'm supprised he isn't confused with all the idea we are chucking at him.

Stealth shelf would probably suit your requirement the best as it would mean you could mount a couple of 10" subs in it (they would be hidden under the cloth shelf) and you could also mount an amp underneath on it thus taking up no boot floor space.

Simples :)

LOL, Head is hurting and i'm Confused.Com! :lol: going to have a lie down now with a cool wet flannel on me forehead :lol: