accord sat nav error

G

gingerwill

Hi guys I have an Accord Tourer exc and I've just taken the dvd rom out. Any idea how you get to the laser to clean it? Any help would be greatfull or if you know anywhere I could send it to get fixed thats not going to cost an arm and a leg?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't put a disc cleaner in, it will cause further damage. The lasers in the Sat Nav's are terrible. They flake out very easily. The official Honda Sat Nav discs are gold. If you're running a copied disc like my mate was (it was a purple colour blank dual layer DVD) it will put too much strain on the laser and cause it to fail.

As it happened, mine went despite running a legit disc. It just stopped reading the disc one day. A replacement unit was quoted at over £1K, which is crazy. I'd just spent that on a new clutch and flywheel.

But my Honda garage (Bexhill, East Sussex) took it out, sent it away to Alpine who refurbish it, replace faulty components and it cost about £250. It meant no sat nav, music and air con for 3 weeks. But was worth it.

Well, if you are skilled enough to get the laser out to get the part number from it OR if you can obtain somehow the part number without taking it out, THEN if you buy a new laser AND send that to me I will replace that for you no problem, just pay for the return postage ;)

I finished 5 year Uni and have 2 Diplomas in IT and microelectronics and electronics, but it stayed like that till today as a hobby. I do this all the time just for satisfaction really and to keep me in shape :) Blurays, dvds, cdroms, whatever, its not a rocket since if you know what you are doing.

To change the bluray is less than 1hour taking it easy with no rush, but it doesnt really matter if this is dvd bluray or cd as they all are same, same design, just different lasers, but same shape and size.
CDrom, bluray, satnav, dvd, ps3, xbox, cdplayer, they all have same construction and function, press eject, place the cd, press load and job done.

If you like doing stuff your self you may even do it yourself, it really isn't difficult

The Disc Drive is pretty straight forward to remove. I did mine when it packed up, just out of curiosity. You need to take the whole gear stick surround up and everything to get the trim, but once you're in, the drive come out quite easily. Once out it was a mission to get at the lens/laser. I wouldn't have bothered myself. Also, at the time I didn't know if it was the laser or not. Turns out it was, so could have done that. Would save them removing the whole centre console to send away.

Because the garage don't know or understand the sat nav consoles, they just remove the whole centre unit for diagnostics. Leaving you with no stereo or air con either. If they could diagnose without removing the whole thing, it would be much nicer. These are sadly the pitfalls of having a car with more tech than you can shake a stick at. When things go wrong, it's often a ball ache, and there a lot of things that can go potentially wrong!

Well...I haven't done that model my self, yet, but as you said taking the housing is not a mission with 99.5% units.
When you get the housing off taking the tray is very simple as well.
Taking the lens out is pretty easy as well.
Lens it self is exactly same like in xbox, all dvd players, all type of sat navs etc, anything what reads dvds.
The only difference is the quality of each lens, panasonic will have better quality then lets say technika or matsui. In some examples they can have slightly different construction but the key always is to get the right part.
Another different thing will be the way they are connected to the logic board, or by clip plug or ribbon or soldered directly to the board
But apart that, a dvd lens is a dvd lens and replacing it is pretty easy ;)