Acceleration testing

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
I've been out today in a spare half hour and had a go at doing some acceleration time tests on quiet roads. I didn't go too hard at the 0-62mph 'cos I don't want to wreck tyres and clutch but I managed the following:

0-62 mph - 7.6 seconds - this is difficult and I admire people who can do it reliably.

30-60 mph in third - 4.5 seconds

I don't know if these are good times but it certainly feels very quick, especially if someone else is driving and I'm a passenger. I also don't know what to compare it against but 30-60 looks impressive.

0-62 is not so special I know, but this is a diesel car that has a very 'short' first gear.

I haven't tried timing properly but I would say on a good day mine would do around the 7 to 8 second mark I think on a 0-62. I will investigate this now though :bigsmile:

I had a P11 with the auto box and that could do a sensible 10 ish seconds. With a manual I reckon 8 is achievable as you can be a bit more brutal at takeoff. (You know about this though, Mr. halfshafts snapper :) )

I don't think my Nissan would get anywhere near the in gear 30-60 time I've managed, even in full kickdown.

supposed to do 62 in 8 seconds but never timed for same reasons as you plus tyres are getting close to being changed.
will time 30 to 60 when i get a chance, dont think itll be quite as good as 4.5
what about 50-70 times ?

With a manual I reckon 8 is achievable as you can be a bit more brutal at takeoff. (You know about this though, Mr. halfshafts snapper :) )

lol Like I said I will investigate this but i'll have to wait till I haven't got my son in the car. I set off at some traffic lights the other day next to a rwd skyline expecting him to blow me away. Cause he could get any grip he had now answer to me until he hit third gear. It was so funny :lol::lol::lol: Always up for a play at the lights lol

I did have a go at 50-70mph some time ago and got it conveniently down below four seconds.

That's an easy one though, just plant your right foot. If you started at 45 on full throttle and started the stopwatch as the speedo passes 50 you'd save a few tenths because this would iron out the slight turbo lethargy but that's a bit artifical.

I did prepare the car for this though ie. empty out all superfluous junk (no big deal when it weighs in at 1510kg anyway) and used BP Ultimate with a double dose of Millers Diesel Sport additive, which does raise the cetane rating of the fuel.

On standard fuel, no additives and on a hot day you could probably add a second to that. Which shows just how meaningless some figures are. Even so, it's quick by anyone's standards and makes main road driving and overtaking effortless and very safe.

Incidentally, I've tested the speedometer and it records 70mph when doing 69.3mph true speed.

yeah i was going to time it in both 2nd and 3rd not expecting anything major quick however.

think last time i used the gps i was doing around 75-77 indicated for a real 70

The 30-60 would be easiest for me as my car does 60 in second. But due to a knock sensor prob it struggles abit through mid range revs...

The automatic p11 does nearly 70 in second, which probably holds it back due to long gears.

Knock sensor - the SR20De and SR20DE engines' knock sensor works cylinder by cylinder. There are not 4 sensors, but the ECU knows which piston is closest to TDC firing position when it knocks.

You ought to get this sorted as you'll wind up with burnt piston crowns and exhaust valves if it continues. Are you sure it's not due to carbon buildup?

To be honest mate i'm totally unsure what is causing the problem. The self diagnostic says knock sensor circuit. I have spoken to a couple of mechanics an a few people who have owned primera's an they all say it's a common problem and don't worry about it. I have not got a clue how to sort it either because my local garages won't put it on a computer and do a full diagnostic because they engine managment light isn't on.....

I never had a problem with my P11. They are superbly resilient cars. It may be a common problem, yet I never encountered that one in several years of ownership and operation.

It's a shame that you've got this problem as it detracts from what is a very very nice car to drive.

The engines are bullet-proof.

Here's a suggestion: hunt down Forte Gas Treatment additive on Ebay. Chuck in the whole bottle. REfuel using top quality petrol (BP Ultimate unleaded, for example).

Now drive it like there's no tomorrow for a couple of hundred miles.

0-62 mph - 7.6 seconds - this is difficult and I admire people who can do it reliably.

30-60 mph in third - 4.5 seconds

Right i've had a few goes at 30-60 but in second an I got around the same. about 4.5 seconds. This is not accurate though an was full of wheel spin when i got to 40..... I tried the o-62 but the roads were too greasy so i'll have another go at this another day......

had a couple of goes this morning after taking the wife to work.
0-60 didnt bother as tyres are starting to get near limit.
30-60 in 2nd around 4 seconds
30-60 in 3rd around 5
not bad seeing its pretty much standard

had a couple of goes this morning after taking the wife to work.
0-60 didnt bother as tyres are starting to get near limit.
30-60 in 2nd around 4 seconds
30-60 in 3rd around 5
not bad seeing its pretty much standard

Thats quite good as you have to consider the road conditions aren't great at this time of year. On a dry warm sunny day a think we'd shave a bit more off those times.

Its too wet for me. As soon as it gets dry I'll post up my results. I know a nice stretch of road I can use for this ;).

I think having a stopwatch in one hand might just be a 'little' to deadly for me to try :/

Im thinking the best and safest way for me to do it is fit a bullet cam or similar looking at the speedo, do my run then time it when I watch it back.

now dont hold me to this, but full bore I think I might be able to get it around 5-6 seconds 0-60, but its a bit too wet atm and I get a lot of wheel spin if i go near to 3/4 throttle.

again, will try the 30-60 when its not wet and greasy out

Safest way to do this is to start a recording and shout out the speeds as you start, get to 62 etc... Then put a stopwatch on your recording.

Why are we all going to 62?

I know a nice dual carriage way with traffic lights on it! 58 is cheating if we all have to go to 62. (Shouldn't we all do an indicated 66 or a sat nav calibrated 60mph which is 60mph allowing for the average 10% speedo error :lol:)

If I did this down hill would you class that as cheating?

sat nav have a delay on them so by the time it shows you doing 62 you might already be over it.

58, 62 come on its only 4 mph and i did say around x seconds :cheesy:

yeah going down hill is cheating (dam why didnt i think of that :lol:)

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, wet roads don't help. I can light up the front tyres in third if I'm too heavy with my right foot. This is a big disadvantge with FWD diesels. Basically there is too much torque low down.

still been too wet and have to wait till I get paid to get a bullit cam to test it.

tis a tad deadly trying a full bore start and gear changes on a bike with a stopwatch in one hand lol.

I managed 0-60 in my renault clio in approx 11.5 seconds. With 1 other person in the car too.

I am very surprised, because it is only a 1.2 and I am sure it shouldn't be able to do it that fast :|

yeah how often do you do the 0 -60 aart from leaving lights ?
ive now learned that its the mid range thatdoes really count, loking at the 40- 70 range to pass with ease without having to drop down from 4th gear

Thanks, PG, someone that understands that acceleration doesn't start from zero. I like the big torque overtaking muscle that I have avaiable. I can and do overtake in situations that I'd never consider in less torquey cars.

yeah when i fist joined this site i was interested in shaving time off m 0-60 however i find that im trying to overtake folk that are constantly doing 50mph this requires more push to pass easily than doing 0- 60
christ my civic, 1.4, i used to have to drop to third to pass cars easily from 50mph now i can do it as easily in 6th from around 2000rpm

but im going to stick up for the clio driver 11.5 isnt bad for a 1.2 however that depends on his gearing, generally small cars are designed to be used within town so use shorter gears to get the speed up quickly this can however suffer the mid range in smaller cars
yeah my civic was a 1.4 it was a heavy car and it could do 0-60 in around 11 seconds but it struggled like hell to get a decent acceleration within the high speeds without having to drop down a couple of cogs

I have a cold but will post up my 0-60 and 30-60 times (In first second, and third I presume!)

Which gear did you use for the 30-60 times?

A real test of torque is 0-60 with you starting in 4th gear. Its a good test of an engine as well and something I do when I test drive a car.

I did the 30-60 in third.

0-62 was through the gears changing up at 4500rpm.

50-70 in fourth is a good one. I can do this in around 3 seconds. That's bloody quick, diesel or not!

40-70 you really need to start in third other wise you get bogged down below boost threshold.

I know for a fact that if I catch my car completely off boost then the performance is really pathetic.

My car is also very high geared. Even 3rd is nearly 20mph/1000rpm. If I tried 30-60 starting in second I'd be painting black stripes all over the road.

Fifth is 32.8mph/1000 rpm - that's 70mph at just over 2100, or 100mph at less than 3100.

I got my new doohicky Saturday& it says my 0-60 in the wet was 7.33 sec with wheel spin 1st 2nd & 3rd. I'll wait for a dry day & try & get a full set of figures recorded.

Last edited: