ABS - brake performance?

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Just wondered after some prized plum caused me to test the brakes of the beast in anger tonight :mad:

My car originally had a single pot brake caliper with an OEM road pad on a 314mm disc. It now has a 6 pot caliper with racing brake pads on a 360mm floating disc arrangement. My question is this - does the ABS act any differently with the new brake arrangement as opposed to the original factory set up which the car came with?
I did have 17" wheels on the car as standard but now that I am running on 19" wheels, the garage had to tell the ECU through a Tech II that I have 19" wheels now for the speedometer recalibration.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
to confirm
mine has gone from single sliding caliper to 6 pot Ap racing discs and calipers. the abs still works fine

Many thanks guys, my main concern was that in all the 9 years that I have owned my baby, I have NEVER stamped on the brakes in anger! :embarrest:

The ABS activation is indeed a very weird sensation when it's working :blink: That's when the question popped into my head - I am at peace now! :)

Last edited:
yes the ABS will run off another module watching how fast the wheels turn. generally by the hub so wheel or disc size wont matter.
if you were looking closely when they done your brakes then you may have seen the sensor and vaned part on the hub.

Question. Why are you running race pads on a road car? These are usually designed to work when very hot so don't work so well on the road under normal driving conditions.

They obviously worked well enough to avoid tears recently, but I wonder whether a softer pad would be better for normal use (especially as you don't use them in anger very often) with a race set for track days?

Question. Why are you running race pads on a road car? These are usually designed to work when very hot so don't work so well on the road under normal driving conditions.

They obviously worked well enough to avoid tears recently, but I wonder whether a softer pad would be better for normal use (especially as you don't use them in anger very often) with a race set for track days?

Not altogether sure why OG :confused: I shall call the garage this morning and ask the question then get back to you :)

Well OG what can I say except - where not worthy!
notworthy.gif

Spoke to the garage earlier today and asked the question about the race pads. They agreed that I should be on a softer pad instead of the super hard track monsters
1sm452racing.gif
and that I would notice the benefit immediately, so I raced of to the garage to have them removed and swapped for the slightly softer pads!

Well what a DIFFERENCE! I had wondered why the old girl was a tad reluctant first thing in the morning but after driving around in the city the brakes improved and had a better feel to them. Many thanks OG
Peace.gif

The old pads removed and saved for my next track day!
IMG_1283.jpg

Result!!! What make are the pads?

The rears (small ones) are EBC reds and the large ones are reds from MapTun performance who make my 6 pot calipers and discs. They have a range of 3 different pad types which are specifically made for their brakes only, so I cannot try a set of EBC or such like to see how they would perform. Pricing is quite reasonable under the circumstances and I have absolutely no complaints about the performance. ;)

Well OG what can I say except - where not worthy!
notworthy.gif

Spoke to the garage earlier today and asked the question about the race pads. They agreed that I should be on a softer pad instead of the super hard track monsters
1sm452racing.gif
and that I would notice the benefit immediately, so I raced of to the garage to have them removed and swapped for the slightly softer pads!

Well what a DIFFERENCE! I had wondered why the old girl was a tad reluctant first thing in the morning but after driving around in the city the brakes improved and had a better feel to them. Many thanks OG
Peace.gif

The old pads removed and saved for my next track day!

My pleasure. It's nice to be proved right occasionally (switch to smug mode)

And I thought it was needed this big because you have a big arse :)

I have shown this post to my mum! Nobody says that about her little soldier! :mad:
She knows where you live and is coming to get you! It was nice knowing you OG :lol:

She has made contact already. She's a pussy cat. She did say, however, that she only bought you that size tissue because they were out of supersize extra absorbent.

Nice one OG. I too switched from DS3000 that came with my calipers down to DS2500 after finding out how rubbish track/race compounds are on the road (ie never hot enough), plus they are dusty as hell, noisy and munch the hell out of your rotors!

I've just swapped the rear pads from 1000 miles out standard Ford to DS2500 as they just couldn't cope:

IMAG0194.jpg

Just shows why uprating parts is important if you're going to give it hell.