A8 Computer Access/Changes

pete917

Tuner
Car
Is it possible to get an software/cable to access some of the parameters in an Audi A8 computer.

I'd like to have the TV work when the car is moving, I'd like the mirrors to be able to fold when doing more than 5mph, I'd like the wing mirror lights to come on when you unlock the doors even if they are retratced....

That kind of stuff and more.......

not sure on the wing mirrors
lights might be able to be changed via VCDS
TV is probably the easiest - there should be a handbrake cable somewhere. disconnect it and just put it straight to earth

Thanks you.

Im a new Audi owner, so can you tell me what VCDS is?

My Audi is a 2004 A8 4.0 Tdi. The handbrake is an electronic push button affair. Where might I look for the handbrake cable?

Many thanks

VCDS is what vagcom is now called. 2004 is going to get expensive as you need to use a genuine cable and newest software so expect to pay around £200
if you google ross tech they are the programmers that made Vagcom and then VCDS. its that good that even some VAG dealers are ditching the standard VAG diagnostic for it.

not on about the cable for the handbrake itself.
on the back of the TV one will most likely be connected to the handbrake somehow - sorry my ELSA is only showing VW i will try and add audi but i tried seat and it just made alot of errors

Thank you

I'll start googling.....

Out of cuirosity, can you use the VCDS to make configuration changes to some of the software?

its very limited to what you can do.
for example i can set service times for oil as well as main, reset variable service indicator ( if you do it by the book it automatically resets to fixed mileage ), change the alarm tone, bleep when un/lock, anti hijack - doors lock above 10mph, auto open - door open automatically when key removed, and the unlock fully -all doors unlock with one press.
ive also coded out brake sensor switch with it.
on top of this you can save money with reading the codes with discription as VW want around £80 just to read and reset

Hi Pete917

Give me a time till late evening and I will send you a link.
My mate have a '06 A6 and he got the cable together with the software for 45-50pounds all in.
I spoke with him quickly minute ago, and there are on ebay cables for even 10quid, but from what he said they will work only on models till '03 or '04, so you may be good with it, but not 100% sure about it.

But the one he uses is for all models until 2011, and it costs as I said up to 50quid.

He connected his laptop with VCDS software (comes with the cable) to my 2006 A8 so I know for a fact that it works. I've seen him messing on his 2006 A6 as well.

BUT
The problem he suffers from, is very strange, but apparently it is like that because this cables are not genuine (the original costs 200.00 GBP as mentioned by 'pgarner' ).
What it is, when you update the software or when it will update automatically in the background, cable suddenly stops work on any car, any laptop, is just dead, will not work again, like is banned on they database.
So every single time you update, you have to spend 50quid to buy a new one, at least he have to.

But because your car is not a 2011 model, there is no more crucial updates, therefore its good to have a 2nd laptop, some cheap s***, and make sure there is no active internet connection, disable it completely, and if it as a wireless, just remove even the wireless card from the motherboard, may sounds ridiculous, but could save you 50quid.

Im not sure what is going on exactly, but program may have some security update to prevent use of cheap replacement cables.

To remove the wireless card just turn the laptop up side down, 2 or 4 screws, and just unplug it, simples :)
If you going to use your normal laptop just slide the wireless switch to off position and to be on safe side just go to device manager in windows and disable all network cards/adapters.

Hope that helps, but most of the stuff you are talking about is possible.
Will get back to you when I get the link.

Regards

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back