A5 high pressure fuel pump cutting out

TheMac

Car
audi a5 cabriolet
While my car was cruising at approximately 50 mph in 6th gear a warning light on the dash board relating to the emission control system came on (page 13 of the owner’s manual). On the advice of dealership staff the RAC breakdown service was contacted, ran a diagnostic test, found a fault related to the fuel pressure system and following a test drive cancelled the fault code.
The warning light reappeared within the next week and the car was left into the dealership. The source of the fault was not found but the dealership, having spoken to Audi Technical staff in England decided to replace the high pressure petrol pump.
During the drive home, the emissions warning light again came on and the high pressure fuel pump cut out. The car temporarily refused to go above 3500 RPM - working on the electric back up pump.
The vehicle was left back with the dealership and on failing to identify the specific source of the fault and again having spoken to Audi Technical staff the fuel sensor was replaced. That afternoon the pump briefly cut off again without warning or in this case the light appearing either before or after the incident. Later while driving at approximately 35 – 40 mph in 6th gear the light appeared and on acceleration the car was found unable to drive any faster than 3500rpm. This corrected itself after approximately 10 seconds, the light remained on for the rest of the night but it had turned itself off by the next morning.
Has anyone out there experienced the same problem?
To envisage my wife and children in the car overtaking traffic, (by necessity on the other side of the road) and the engine power cutting off without prior warning, is of utmost concern!
Thanks in anticipation

i know there was issues with the earlier FSI engines with cam wear due to the high pressure pump (it runs off the cam)
coilpack on its way out - fuel not burning in the cylinder
lamba sensor - false readings
Maf - same as above
but i would have thought that the dealer would check these things out

My understanding is that Audi have since found that an incorrect part associated with the fuel pump was fitted at the factory. The correct part is being sent from Germany and is to be fitted on Wednesday or so! Hard to believe!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back