lutonmatt

The Torque Meister
Car
82 trans am kitt
well i have bought my self a new motor got a 99 a4 1.8 auto estate

will put some pics up tomorrow

but the lcd screen in the centre of the speedo has some dead pixels

is there any cheap fixes for these

Hi LM. Welcome to the Audi club. Mine has always had dead pixels and the problem has grown worse over the years. I have about 7 vertical lines missing and a couple of horizontal lines.

It makes it hard to distinguish between a 3 and 8 and a 9 after the decimal point.

It is annoying but the only fix is to drop in a new unit which costs around £400! You also have to be careful to get the correct one, there were differences in the serial numbers/product numbers from year to year and model to model.

Turn the brightness down, it gets less noticable then.

thanks for that
have seen a few on ebay for the right model for about 80 quid

will do every thing on this so it is all good

I think a lot of the ebay ones are being sold because people ordered the wrong one! There are some bargains to be had.

ya i wil take mine apart and get the number off the back before i buy but one from a 1.8 auto 99 plate should be the same

There's lots of reason why pixels stop working but sometimes you can fix them manually, this worked on my computer monitor which had a dead pixel when I bought it & now it's not come back for a year or so now.It should work on smaller screens too.

Find a pencil with a rubber on the end.

Turn on screen.

With the rubber end tap the dead pixel & the area around in a circular direction with firm taps don't go mad though! :lol:

With a bit of luck the pixel will change, it may take a couple of goes though. :)

Last edited:
The digital milage recording is what needs to be flashed in. You could always have the clock wound back to zero! :eek: It would add a bit to the value.

OK the LCD panel cant be replaced. the whole cluster has to be done, downside is vag code all the imobiser code into it as well so this needs to be flashed with the SKC - which requires a program to build one if you dont have the original or take it to audi to put on their machine which will generate one for xx hours only to allow the coding of new clocks. you will need to make sure that you get the correct ones as you can move to newer ones but not back words

ya read i will need to reprogram it i cant do it with the kit i have at work but know a man with a better system then us hoping he can do it

if not dont know if one of the ebay kits that you can use on the laptop were you get the lead and softwear can do it
i did know a vw man that could do all this but he died a few years back

the only kits im aware of are VAGs ones and a mix of

VCDS - vagcom and VAGTACHO as are both required one to read the code and VCDS to program the new codes in. both can be bought on ebay the problem comes from they require different leads and VCDS needs to be activated which is another £70 unless you do alot of searching on the web

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back