A4 2.0TFSI - ECU upgrade - which company should i go with??

E

eskimopunk

Hi i've got a B7 A4 which is about a year old now. and I've finally got some money to play around with for my car.

I know APR does the ECU upgrade and they have different modes and they say they can get about an extra 30 - 40hp and an extra 70 to about 85 lb-ft!
GIAC say they can get 18-50hp and 50-85 ft-lbs gain.

They're both around the same price. So i have no idea which one is better and all this stuff is kinda confusing :? haha.

so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hello and welcome to Torquecars -nice to have a fellow Audi driver along!

Remaps depend largely on how much economy you want to keep. The APR setup sounds good. I get worried when I'm quoted a power increase of 4-50bhp. They seem to be hedging their bets. Tie them down to a power figure.

Can they send you a rolling road graph - you can then pick the one with the power curve where you want it the most. Some drivers like low down power all through the rev range, others prefer the power to come in explosively at 2/3 of the rev range.

Hi there -

I am in exactly the same position as you - I bought a B7 A4 Cabrio 2.0 T FSi S-line last October. Cracking car but I want some more oomph as well.

I have seen the details of the APR system but one of the big advantages of APR is their multi program switching so you can switch it back to stock tune for pootling around or cruising and switch up to the tuned mode for going for a weekend blast. Also if the car is still under warranty you can hand it back to the dealer for servicing and they should be none the wiser. They also have a security mode that just won't allow the ignition to fire. Great if you need to leave the car parked up anywhere outside. Its all controlled through your cruise control stalk.

Also, be wary of anything more than 240 Bhp through the front wheels without fitting a Limited Slip Diff. Its just too much power to put down effectively in anything other than bone dry conditions. Don't get me wrong, The Celtic tuning deal is a really comprehensive and well done tuning package but I do wonder about the practicalities of putting down that much power without the diff. If you could afford to combine the Celtic Tune with a diff install at the same time then you could have some real fun on your hands!!!!

Btw APR in Manchester will do the diff install as well.

I am looking for anyone who specializes in tuning this kind of engine so I'll get back to you if I hear any more.

Hi and thanks for the extra info. The switchable APR system is a really good setup. Going to 240+ you would be well advised to get a stronger clutch and if I was changing the clutch I would probaly also go with a lighter flywheel at the same time.