A4 1.8t ECU Questions!

simon82

Hello! I have recently bought a Yr2000 A4 1.8t Quattro and love it! Ideally i'd like to see a few more bhp from a full re-mapp but seen as i spent pretty much all my money on buying the thing in the first place i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 'off the shelf' ECU Piggyback chips like you find on ebay etc!? 25-30bhp for 25 pounds seems a bit too good to be true to me but i'd be interested to know!

Also, how does the standard clutch stand up to running about 220bhp, i might need to replace mine soon and was wondering whether to go for the standard one or i heard the TT versions are better and might fit as a direct replacement?

Any ideas welcomed, cheers guys!

Hello! I have recently bought a Yr2000 A4 1.8t Quattro and love it! Ideally i'd like to see a few more bhp from a full re-mapp but seen as i spent pretty much all my money on buying the thing in the first place i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 'off the shelf' ECU Piggyback chips like you find on ebay etc!? 25-30bhp for 25 pounds seems a bit too good to be true to me but i'd be interested to know!

Also, how does the standard clutch stand up to running about 220bhp, i might need to replace mine soon and was wondering whether to go for the standard one or i heard the TT versions are better and might fit as a direct replacement?

Any ideas welcomed, cheers guys!

25-30bhp for £25 like the old saying mate if it sounds to good to be true then it generaly is and if these piggy back ecu's are the 1's ive read about i would stay well clear it is a resistor that fools the car into thinking the engine is colder than it really is this leads to overfuelling which takes power away and doesnt add it

and a standard clutch will not have to be uprated it will take all the power a ko3s turbo can give look below im on a standard clutch ;)

Hey and welcome nice to see another 1.8 user

i was informed that the standard clutch on the 6 speed can handle 270ftlb torque.
the 5 speed FWD gearboxes can take the golf G60 clutch and flywheel dunno about the quattros.

25-30bhp for 25 pounds seems a bit too good to be true to me but i'd be interested to know!
think youve answered your own question there

Hello and welcome - YAY another owner with the legendary 1.8T engine!

Save the money for a proper remap and you will certainly not be dissapointed. Where abouts are you from Simon?

I thought that may be the case!

Im from somerset, lots of nice quiet country roads! Depending on where you look the 99-01 turbo's are quoted as being either 163 or 180bhp, does anyone actually know for sure!? feels like 163 to me but why the disparity?

all the engines themselves are the same (excetion of the 225 and 240 bhp varients) the only real differences between the 163 and 180 (190 at times) is the turbo is slightly different and theres a more aggresive map already installed, 160 map will be around 6 psi. 180 is 10 psi

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back