A4 1.6 turbo

radu313

Car
Audi A4 1.6
Hey, can anyone give me a hint about fitting a turbocharger on my 2004 1.6 a4? By that I mean besides the right turbocharger, what else do I have to fit, and what gain will I have by doing that?
Thanks.

Unless you upgrade the internals you'll only be able to run low boost.
You'll need Turbo (obviously) intercooler, pipe work, you'll also need to tap the bottom of the engine for oil feed and return,you may also need to uprate the suspension and brakes and I can't remember what else.
Oh you might need to uprate the fuel pump and it will also need to be mapped.

hey and welcome.
what engine have you got ? theres at least 3 1.6s if its one that is an alloy block then your technically stuffed as the block is easily twisted and hard to change the internals. the compression on these are quite high depending on model 10.1:1 to 11:1 so this needs to be lowered, how much power are you after ? i was following a thread where someone was boosting a 1.4 ( changed internals for the 1.6 as the blocks were the same ) think he gave up in the end and kept it nasp as it was that hard to get correct.

for ease get a 1.8t and fit it. earlier models will map to 190 so you will see around an 80bhp gain for under a grand if you look around and do the fitting yourself

me personaly i'd go with a 1.8t swap stage two tuned and uprate everything including brakes. an that should give you around 230bhp. it may cost you around 2k but i think you'll find it worth it.

or just fit a super charger

no fitting a 1.8t is an easy job.
bumper off, lights off, crash bar off, radiators off
old engine out - youd need to do all this anyway to fit the turbo.
new engine in
new ECu in
using vcds and vagcom to code the keys

jobs done, really could be done in a couple of days

turboing the 1.6
see above
strip engine down
fit forged rods and crank
low compression pistons - this could all cause issues if it is an alloy block
custom make a exhaust manifold
downpipe
fit water and oil lines to the turbo
then the tedious job of mapping it

no fitting a 1.8t is an easy job.
bumper off, lights off, crash bar off, radiators off
old engine out - youd need to do all this anyway to fit the turbo.
new engine in
new ECu in
using vcds and vagcom to code the keys

jobs done, really could be done in a couple of days

I was told that i had to change the entire electric systems to make this work, including the gearbox, input?

on the transverse engines anyway engine and gearbox out and new ones in.
the elecrics that would need to be changed are the engine bay loom and ECU

unsure on the longitudinal engines but i can see them being that different

You don't necessarily have to tap anything for oil lines to the turbo. You can use a tee to run a line from the oil temp or pressure sensor.