a3 hunting

Should be an easy job to do, I would really recommend you invest in a workshop manual. It will give you confidence to do a lot more on your car.

yet another update on this car , i guy has said now he thinks that the inlet manifold gaskets need replacing or the manifold itself is cracked, how easy is this to remove as i might have a go at it myself to save labour costs, does anyone have a link to a picture or instructions of how to remove the inlet manifold, thanks

Shouldn't be too difficult. I'm not familiar with Audi engines but on BMWs it's easy enough. Just be patient and make sure you've got the right tools before you start.

I'd imagine if the inlet manifold was cracked the revs would be everywhere constantly. Gaskets should be fine. Are they rubber or metal?

Other areas that come to mind are the crankshaft sensor, lambda sensor and MAF. All can cause erratic idles.

Does the car feel under powered?

well the guy plugged it in and he ruled out the lamda sensor etc, it disnt feel under powered as such but i noticed a couple of times when i start the car there is no power there at all, as i put my foot on the accelerator pedal there was just nothing there at all, if i turned the engine off and back on it seemed to be fine,

It also seems to be holding back ever so slightlty, i can notice it, as for the hunting it seems to hunt faster if i dip the clutch,

There does seem to be an air leak at the back of the engine though, or maybe its normal, i really havnt got a scooby, grrr lol

cheers m8, is it an easy thing to replace the inlet gaskets, i think the main prob is gonna be taking the inlet manifold off, is there an easy way, is it best from above or beneath the car ?

cheers m8, is it an easy thing to replace the inlet gaskets, i think the main prob is gonna be taking the inlet manifold off, is there an easy way, is it best from above or beneath the car ?

TBH mate I don't really know Audi engines well enough to say how easy it is. All I can say is that it's easy enough on a BMW. This is done from above.

Replacing the gaskets is aas easy as whipping one out and popping in the new one. Are they rubber or metal? Metal ones shouldn't need replacing you see.

until i whip it off mate i couldnt tell you, i did try taking it off before but theres one hex head i couldnt get to right behind the engine, i think i have to get this off as to see where the air is coming from, ill let you know if they are metal or rubber once i get to it, wont be till wednesday though as im busy tommorrow.,

until i whip it off mate i couldnt tell you, i did try taking it off before but theres one hex head i couldnt get to right behind the engine, i think i have to get this off as to see where the air is coming from, ill let you know if they are metal or rubber once i get to it, wont be till wednesday though as im busy tommorrow.,

Some bolts will be awkward but just be patient and keep at it. Double check all air hoses as well. The problem could be something so simple.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back