A3 Brake warning light and engine cuts out

Holly

Car
AUDI A3 1.9TDI
I have an audi A3 1.9 SE TDI 2008 . I have drivers information system. Twice in the last week the brake warning light came on and the car stopped. It happened once in the middle of a roundabout and once at a set of traffic lights when I had stopped.

The hazard lights worked but the dash was completely dead. There was no ignition noise at all. After trying to restart several times the engine started again and there was no warning light. The mechanic says there is nothing showing in diagnostics. Any help appreciated .

Welcome to TorqueCars! I hope you enjoy your time here.

Check the brake calipers and pads, I presume you can stop when the car is functional? Check brake lines and hoses. Does it smoke as you accelerate?

We have a few members that will be able to offer more direct help, as they have or have owned an A3.

Hi, thanks for replying.
Yes brakes are working fine and the warning light went out after the car restarted. The car is running fine otherwise.

When it stopped all power had gone and the steering was heavy. The car was just dead. I don't know much about cars but had a car many years ago with a similar problem of stopping for no reason and it was an electrical fault. I thought this would show up on the modern diagnostic equipment they use but apparently not.

Sorry should have added it restarted within about 3 minutes of cutting out which I was pleased about as it was rush hour and I was blocking the middle lane of a roundabout.

Hi Holly,

I have a 1.9 TDI 2008 and have seen exactly the same problem over the last week. Thought it was low brake fluid, but that doesn't seem to be the cause of the issue. Did you find the fault?

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Hi just read Holly's post and have just had exactly the same problem.
Did anyone get to the bottom of this as I think audi are about to start replacing parts as they please without a clue as to what can be wrong?..

Thought I would update this old post, as I had this exact issue last week and couldn't find any where the answer had been posted, so after the garage having my car for a week and tracking down the fault, it turned out to be a relay.

Specifically, part 1K0951253A - Relay 460

From what I was told it is a relay for some of the control units and was shorting out, tripping out some of the modules and stalling the car.

Hope this helps someone in future!