A3 audio issues....

Car
Audi A3 1.8T-Sport
I can't get any sound from the rear speakers or the sub in my 97 A3. I've plugged in and unplugged everything a hundred times and still only the front speakers are operating. HELP!

Its non-BOSE and if i can get around it id rather not rewire the whole freakin car....

I bought an Audi adapter off've the interweb which plugs into the car loom and then into two RCAs....no joy. I bought another adapter off've the interweb with one set of RCAs....still no joy.

Im gonna do an insurance number on it if i can't get it working....

is it an non OEM headunit ?
have you tried without the adaptor without the amp

Its a nearly new kenwood item. Only the fronts work no matter what i plug in....shiz times....

I have a free morning so might just rip out the interior and hardwire the rears straight off the head unit. I've got 2 amps, 6x9s and a sub to fit aswell so while the panels are off i can run power cables and RCAs i guess. Really didn't wanna go to these lengths yet but hey, things happen right.

You know what size the rear quater speakers are?

The fronts are 4"s.... Who the hell fits 4s!!!!?

Anyways.

Im now running MTX 4" coax's up front with fusion tweeters, standard rear quaters all running straight off my 4x50w head unit.

While i had the rear quater panels and seat out i ran 2 sets of RCAs, a remote and a MASSIVE power cable so i can upgrade later on.

I would post pictures but you can't actually see any of it (which isn't depressing - much).

Now making a template for my 6x9s, they'll go in the parcel shelf to make it 4 8 speakers.

I still fancy fibreglassing the spare wheel well and fitting my 15" dvc. The boot floor is nice and flat so a false floor would be a piece of cake. Im thinkingof a larger centre section with folding 'wings' either side to make it easy to lift in and out....?

Cheers.

If your thinking of have a sub don't bother with the 6x9's.;)

I fitted the 6x9s yesterday but i'll probably fit the sub too, just to be on the safe (loud) side :bigsmile:

4" so much for audi being the premier brand haha. the rest of the group gets 6"

I KNOW! I was stunned when i saw those crappy little 4s! The MTX item iv fitted ar a little better but they're still no 6.5"s.

I fitted the 6x9s yesterday but i'll probably fit the sub too, just to be on the safe (loud) side :bigsmile:

I KNOW! I was stunned when i saw those crappy little 4s! The MTX item iv fitted ar a little better but they're still no 6.5"s.

There is no point whatsoever for you to install the sub now. It will just compete with the 6x9's for air and won't really make much difference.

There is no point whatsoever for you to install the sub now. It will just compete with the 6x9's for air and won't really make much difference.

The sub would throw the 6x9 right out yer.

If i ever have the time/energy/inclination to fit the sub i'll port the shelf. The sub would be in a sealed enclosure too so there wouldn't be tooo much interference.

Cheers.

I have a whining amp.... The 2 channel item running my 6x9s is making a whining noise.

I have the power cable running down the left sill and the RCAs down the right sill, its earthed through a bolt straight into the boot floor.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Where's the remote wire? And is the head unit on the standard earth?

The head unit is on the standard earth yes. The remote wire runs alongside my RCAs (high quality - well shielded items).

PLEASE don't tell me there's enough juice going through that poxy little remote wire to transmit alternator whine through my RCAs....:mad:

It took me all day (it was 30 degrees!) to strip the interior out to run cables up each side of the car, i might die if i have to do it all again.

Cheers.

Try just putting a remote wire from headunit to amp without hiding it. Also try some seperate RCA leads.
What RCA's are you using?

I'll definately be checking the remotes placement before i put the interior back together this time. I'v never had this problem with the remote before but when i've done complete installs before i've always run the remote down the centre with power one side and signal the other so it'd make sense i guess.... My own dumb-ass fault for rushing it.

The RCAs are just RCAs not the cheap 3-in-1 jobs. Im running my 6x9s on a chunky blue set 5m long of RCAs from my Jag install, the remote is a big blue one too, not the usual 'break if you bend it' crappy remote wire.

Cheers.

I don't understand why running the remote wire with the other leads should be a problem it's only tiny amps after all, could someone enlighten me please? :embarrest::amuse:
I only ask because I've got all my wires going together to the back of the car.

Some cars are generally ok with the remote wire alongside the RCA but I've had many that don't like it.
There may also be a power wire in the car itself that is interfering so it will be worth trying some rca's down the middle without hiding them first.

I don't understand why running the remote wire with the other leads should be a problem it's only tiny amps after all, could someone enlighten me please? :embarrest::amuse:
I only ask because I've got all my wires going together to the back of the car.

ditto mate i did wonder this as well as youll be lucky if its an amp to flick on the relay in the amp. i run remote and RCAs togeather and power seperate and never had an issue.
now makes me wonder about these companies that sell the RCAs with the remote cable in them

ditto mate i did wonder this as well as youll be lucky if its an amp to flick on the relay in the amp. i run remote and RCAs togeather and power seperate and never had an issue.
now makes me wonder about these companies that sell the RCAs with the remote cable in them

It is a bit strange I gues it's mainly down to the head unit and amp an how they are installed. Also the quality of cable will affect as well.

The pitch of the whine changes with engine speed.... I had this with the Jag instal.... Alternator whine. Don't know what'd cause it in this though?

My personal opinion and thoughts point to a crap earth.

I had suspected this myself so rather than getting snap happy with the wire cutters i thought i'd try my spare head unit.....

Sounded fine, no whine at all....

How hacked off am i!!!!? Only just had it repaired from the last fault (it was away for 4 weeks) and no its doing this whiney shiz!!!!

Im not buying Kenwood ever again, this thing cost me £200!

is there anyway i can get the original radio code without have to go to main dealer, as the battery died and had to put new battery so wen started car the radio has displaying the safe mode, si think need to put new code

is there anyway i can get the original radio code without have to go to main dealer, as the battery died and had to put new battery so wen started car the radio has displaying the safe mode, si think need to put new code

When I bought my Leon I just rang the original dealer with the vin number and they kindly gave me the code over the phone.