A new Saab Aero owner and new forum member with "modest tuning" ideas and questions…

Rim

Car
Saab Aero 9.3 TTiD
I realize this looks like a lot to read. So don't hesitate to come up for air.

Hi everyone. :) This is my first post in this Saab 9.3 section.

I'm the owner of a Saab 9.3 Aero 1.9 TTiD automatic FAP. Circa 2008 with +/- 87000kms. On 18" Bridgestones .
I purchased this Saab to replace the 9.5 Vector TiD V6 3.0 which was totaled in an accident in August 2011. (I walked out alive! The other cars/passengers…).
This 9.3 had one previous owner. Driving was done mostly on our superhighways here in France. The car was correctly/timely serviced where it was purchased: Saab dealer. I know the dealer. I serviced my Saab 9.5 there.
This Aero model has many options. Too long to list here! But if you ask, I can put them up later.
The Aero is black with full black leather and a beige trim. Classy!
I have some pictures (and of the crashed 9.5 model too, sniff sniff) but I don't know if as a rookie member I have the authority to submit them for approval. Let me know Mr. Moderator. Thank you.

So much for some of the background.
My "modest tuning" ideas now:
- improve the breathing (intake)… I would like to go beyond a pan filter (K & N) swap.
I've seen the BSR Opti Air Flow intake kit (196$ USA) and it looks almost like a plug and play operation. The .pdf installation instructions I downloaded are clearly written, etc… Few moving parts…
Does anyone have hands on experience/ideas/suggestions with this BSR product?
Are there others products of this type/"simplicity" you could point me towards?
Is this "breathing improvement" modification going to yield something in terms of pedal response?
Will my SID give me errors with this modification?
I'm afraid to ask if there is an hp gain! I am, after all just a rookie here.

- improve the cooling… Is an intercooler project feasible with this motor?
Does anyone have a hands on experience or ideas/suggestions with this type of project with this motor?
if so: what was the product, etc…
And the same question as above: Is this modification going to yield something in terms of pedal response? Will my SID give me errors with this modification?

Once I have these two projects well identified and moving: feasibility, pricing, payoffs, etc…
-a reprogramming/chip/box project. I've read up a "bit" on this subject and I have to confess, there's a lot of data but I can't come to anything that resembles a conclusion. Everyone/everything says : oh yes hp gains, oh yes torque gains, oh yes easy to do, oh yes give me your money and I can make it happen!
Some of my questions so far on this: Is a plug/play mod. possible? I've seen a Maptun I think, video where the guy plugs in the mini monitor and a few minutes later he's cruising with the top down and a happy grin on. :amazed:
Do I have to treadmill to validate, etc …
Can I revert to mfg. default?
There are obviously more questions…

Thanks for having gotten this far!! And thanks for helping me started on these projects. :D

Re: A new Saab Aero owner and new forum member with "modest tuning" ideas and questi

Sorry I have just spotted this, well now where to start! BSR Opti Air Flow intake kit, yes I have used this system! you can use this kit but it WILL bring on your check engine light. The flow of air will be far greater than the ECU will be looking for so expect your light to come on.

An intercooler will help so look for Hirsch or MapTun products. Do not entertain any plug in ECU gizmos for the Saab. You will benefit from a 3" down pipe and these cars thrive on them. Use the MapTun software Stage 1 set up for now but specify to them that you have had the induction kit, down pipe and intercooler fitted so that this can be written into the map, note: your map will have to be custom for this and will therefore cost quite a few more Euros. After this work has been done then you will not see an engine light come on.
If you go down this route, then make sure your car is thoroughly serviced before hand and by somebody competent before you have the car remapped. Remember that Saab diesels do not like short town journeys, so take it on the motorway regularly.

Re: A new Saab Aero owner and new forum member with "modest tuning" ideas and questi

Thanks for the information T9man.
I'd like to go over your response with questions and comments.

Air intake mod: Firstly concerning the BSR filter intake. I see you have experience with this product. Questions then: If I get a check light can I hit the clear button on the steering wheel and make it go away?
If I can't make it go away, will the check-light hamper the performance, etc of the car if it remains on? It will be just an annoying indicator on the SID I suppose.
At this early stage of my mods (BSR step...) will I have to do an ECU upgrade if I don't do the inter-cooler, down-pipe mods... at the same time?
Can the ECU be modified by a competent Saab mechanic to accommodate for this "simple" mod:confused:

Inter-cooler mod: Whether it be Hirsch or MapTun, do you have a particular preference? ease of installation, pricing, performance...
I'm waiting for these vendors to answer my product inquiries. I'll let you know what they recommend.

3" down pipe mod: Who can I consult for this? The big boys like: Abbot, Hirsch ???
MapTun mod: I'm seeing a MapTun stage 1 mod for +/- 876 Euros. Like I mentioned in my original post "I've seen a Maptun I think, video where the guy plugs in the mini monitor and a few minutes later he's cruising with the top down and a happy grin on. :amazed:
Do I have to treadmill to validate, etc …
Can I revert to mfg. default?
There are obviously more questions…"
, the MapTun mod looks super easy to do doesn't it? I wonder? Is this an "intelligent" product? By that I mean it's meant for a Saab that has not necessarily undergone any modifications (intake, intercooler, down pipe...). True/Untrue?
That's why I'm thinking that the Maptun will/might adapt to the modifications as you do them. For example: I do the MapTun Stage 1 step. Nothing else. I'm happy with this for a while. Then I decide to do the air intake mod and the check-light comes on! Right. I redo the MapTun and it takes into account the air intake mod and adapts. No more check-light. Is this possible with the MapTun device:confused:

Service and driving: The car had one previous owner. It was serviced according to the mfg specs. The previous owner did mostly highway driving. I live in the country side. Like the previous owner. Most of my driving is on the highway. No inner-city driving if I can help it.

One last thing: I have pix of my Aero and my previous 9.5 which like I mentioned, was recently totaled in a highway accident,sniff,sniff. I would like to show them on the forum. Am I authorized? if so, let me know how to do it. :grin:

Air intake mod: Firstly concerning the BSR filter intake. I see you have experience with this product.

Q1: If I get a check light can I hit the clear button on the steering wheel and make it go away?

ANS: No! You have to plug a Tech II or similar error code reading device into the car to clear the fault code and thus remove the light.

Q2: If I can't make it go away, will the check-light hamper the performance, etc of the car if it remains on? It will be just an annoying indicator on the SID I suppose.

ANS: The light will not effect the performance only the original fault will.

Q3: At this early stage of my mods (BSR step...) will I have to do an ECU upgrade if I don't do the inter-cooler, down-pipe mods... at the same time?
Can the ECU be modified by a competent Saab mechanic to accommodate for this "simple" mod.

ANS: No! The ECU reveals only a certain amount of information to the mechanic. For adjusting fuel, air, various sensor adjustments etc, this should only be ever done by a confident and experienced map reprogrammer.
You can have a stage one software update done without changing the hardware only.

Q4: Inter-cooler mod: Whether it be Hirsch or MapTun, do you have a particular preference? ease of installation, pricing, performance...
I'm waiting for these vendors to answer my product inquiries. I'll let you know what they recommend.

ANS: Hirsch

Q5: 3" down pipe mod: Who can I consult for this? The big boys like: Abbot, Hirsch ???

ANS: Use Abbott or MapTun for a ready made downpipe. Some quality exhaust companies are more than capable of making you a custom version. Mine was a custom project made by Simpson Race Exhaust here in England.

MapTun mod: I'm seeing a MapTun stage 1 mod for +/- 876 Euros. Like I mentioned in my original post "I've seen a Maptun I think, video where the guy plugs in the mini monitor and a few minutes later he's cruising with the top down and a happy grin on.

Q6: Do I have to treadmill to validate, etc …

ANS: "No idea what this means? :blink:

Q7: Can I revert to mfg. default?

ANS: Yes I believe you can.

Q8: Will my SID give me errors with this modification?

ANS: No.

Q9: Is this an "intelligent" product? By that I mean it's meant for a Saab that has not necessarily undergone any modifications (intake, intercooler, down pipe...). True/Untrue?

ANS: True for stage one only.

Q10: I decide to do the air intake mod and the check-light comes on! Right. I redo the MapTun and it takes into account the air intake mod and adapts. No more check-light. Is this possible with the MapTun device.

ANS: Yes it is possible but you may have to send the programming device back to MapTun with full details of what you have done, then they can reprogramme it accordingly - with additional costs of course.

Q11: One last thing: I have pix of my Aero and my previous 9.5 which like I mentioned, was recently totaled in a highway accident,sniff,sniff. I would like to show them on the forum. Am I authorized? if so, let me know how to do it.

ANS: Once you have made 10 posts is the general rule, then you can post up some pictures and URL links. If you look near the top of the page for the Help tab and click on it, type into the search bar about posting pictures.