A little help with an engine problem please.

dragonlee

Wrench Pro
Car
r33 skyline gtst
Hi there could you help me with my skyline problem;
  • Poor tick over
  • Black from exhaust
  • and wont rev over 3000rpm

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black normally means running too rich.

but if it wont rev over 3000 at all it is in limp mode or one of the intercooler pipes has come off.

If it has gone into full limp mode yes. But if it is a loose i/c pipe no.

but remmber if you dont cure the problem it will do it again.

Dont understand what you mean by bridging diagnostic.

The error codes are flashing lights

long then short .......4 long then 2 short is error code 42

Do you mean wont rev over 3000 whatever you do or missfires at over 3000 making it hard to rev above 3000. And is this in nuetral or when driving .

Over fuelling wont cause it to stop at 3000 rpm. Pretty much the only thimg that will is limp mode ( other than something catrostrophic)

hi there in the manual it said to bridge diag port ign and chk for two seconds then the eml will flash thecar starts and runs but on idle seems like choke still on many thanks

I ain't no mechanic but from advice I've been given and what I've read it's a common problem with RB engines when stage 1 mods are done like freeflow exhaust, BOV, induction kit etc and there could be allsorts of causes. Things to check in no particular order are boost leak, plug gaps, coilpacks and amp, coilpack loom can go brittle, clean the afm. Then start thinking of a remap because it's the rich and retard problem caused by the mods or if your not going further with mods then an air/fuel controller should do. I've just fitted an Apexi SAFC2 to my R33 to cure the same problem and it revs through to 8000 rpm beautifully now :bigsmile: Hope that helps.

True all of those are things that can affect revving but none will stop the car going above 3000 (if that is the problem )

so does it rev above 3000rpm at all ?