A few problems

Car
mitsubishi gto
I have a 1992 twin turbo model, and just recently it has started to develope a few problems. Firstly the engine management light is on, while i was driving at low revs it was coughing and spluttering as if it was about to stallm there also appeared to be a bit of smoke from the exhaust. When idling the revs were very eratic dropping down and running up again and missfiring. I have had the car around 2 and a hlaf years and until recently not a single fault.

doesnt sound to healthy mate, i had a similar problem once, it wanted to stall, then i had a cloud of black smoke, then i let it conk out, and then started it and it was fine and never had a problem since, was very strange and worrying when it happened, but perhaps its telling you it wants to retire. any way good luck mate, its beyond me.

The idling problem is most likely to be the Idle Control Valve, which is situated in the bottom half of the throttle body, directly underneath the Y-pipe.
However, you need to find what fault code the 'Check Engine' light is referring to first.
HERE is a guide on how to check your codes, it's simple really. If you get stuck contact me and i'll talk you through it.
The two problems may well be related so before spending/wasting any money, investigate the fault code as a priority.