A Carbon Fibre...?

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
...Engine Block?

Could it be done? Or am I completley out of my mind? Or both?

carbon would cope with the heat fine thats why they have carbon discs . it wouldnt take the explosion of the engine well it would have to be so thick it would be rediculous . but id say youve lost it

carbon would cope with the heat fine thats why they have carbon discs . it wouldnt take the explosion of the engine well it would have to be so thick it would be rediculous . but id say youve lost it

...Well, what about a carbon fibre block with titanium cylinder walls, valve seats, piston crowns and cylinder head?

Keep it light whilst protecting from the pressure. I know it's not the cheapest route but y'know... would it work?

In theory, with metal liners, yes. But then you have the issue of the liners expanding at a different rate to the carbon.

The carbon fibre would have to have some sort of metal or ceramic matrix though. The normal epoxy resin carbon fibre that you see won't work.

If I see this fully developed in my lifetime I'd consider myself very lucky.

The carbon fibre would have to have some sort of metal or ceramic matrix though. The normal epoxy resin carbon fibre that you see won't work.

True. If you were to have, say, gaps around the cylinders between them and the carbon fibre/matrix block which allowed a cooling air flow... do you think that could solve it? It would be a direct way to cool the cylinders and give them room to expand.