95 Accord Turbo - How to do Properly?

This is actually a model specific question. And if at all possible, I'm looking for DETAILED answers. (also, I'm American and terrible at unit conversion, please try to use the American measurement, or at least give the name of the measurement you're using so I can locate a converter)

And after finishing, I realized how long this was, so I decided to put a warning here that this is a very long and detailed post, but I will greatly appreciate everyone who takes the time to read through it and answer at least one of the questions here.

I'm a rather adept "backyard mechanic", but not very well versed in performance upgrades and design. So I'm looking for a little designing a turbo system for my car. Here are the details.

1995 Honda Accord 4cyl VTEC 1.8L
Nearly Stock - Only upgrades are Racing Radiator and Performance Break Pads.

All mechanical repairs have been addressed, and I'm ready to upgrade. My first step is going to be to upgrade the suspension, then the breaks, then add turbo.

The turbo is the part I'm asking about. What all do I need to know/have before I start.

I know I need to upgrade a few things, such as;
Fuel Pump & Pressure Regulator, Injectors, ECU, Headgasket, Intercooler, Headers, and add a diagnostic computer system.

I know the physics of how the turbo works, diverts the exhaust into an impeller to power a turbine that forces air into the intake system thus inducing higher compression in the cylinder allowing for a more potent explosion which equals more power. I also know that since there will be more air compressed it will need more fuel to acheive proper air/fuel ratio. This is where the Fuel Pump & Pres. Reg. come in. What pressure will I need these parts to provide ideally?

Since there will be higher compression in the cylinder, there will be the risk of the fuel detonating from the compression alone before the stroke is complete, thus destroying the whole engine. How do I avoid this? I've been told some turbos come with technology to prevent this, can you help me understand what that is and how to recognize if the turbo I'm looking at has it?

Whats this I hear about I need to lower the initial compression of the engine, I understand the "why", just not the "how". Could someone explain that one to me?

There will inveribaly be added stress on my engine due to the added compression and the added power output, is the only thing I need to do really to simply upgrade the Headgasket? Or is there more to it?

I also know that I'll need a new ECU to control the fuel, boost, and wastegate. Can anyone recommend one? Same question for the Diagnostic computer for adjusting my settings as I drive.

Is it true that most modern turbos come with an internal wastegate? Isn't this supposed to replace the blow off valve as it's more efficient? If that's correct, does it still make that distinctively pleasing sound the blow off makes?

As for hardware, I know I need a new header, as the cast iron one the car came with won't hold up to the pressure, and doesn't have the proper flow or bolt patter for a turbo, but do I also need to increase the whole exhaust as well? I've been thinking about this one, and for a 4cyl, I was thinking 2 1/2 in pipe would be just right. What do you guys think?

I've asked just about every question I can think of, so If I left anything out, or I'm overlooking anything, or just plain have something wrong in the first place, Please let me know. Thank you for reading this, I know it was quite long, but it means alot to me that you'd take the time to try and help me out.

hey and welcome to the site.

Since there will be higher compression in the cylinder, there will be the risk of the fuel detonating from the compression alone before the stroke is complete, thus destroying the whole engine. How do I avoid this?
by fitting lower compression pistons - more "proper" way - or head spacer.

How do I avoid this? I've been told some turbos come with technology to prevent this, can you help me understand what that is and how to recognize if the turbo I'm looking at has it?

not so much to help pre det but VNT turbos allow the boost pressure to be better controlled, this allows bigger boost pressures with less lag. these turbos are just about standard in "performance" diesels. however petrol(gas) turbos seem to be more expensive in comparison
Is it true that most modern turbos come with an internal wastegate? Isn't this supposed to replace the blow off valve as it's more efficient? If that's correct, does it still make that distinctively pleasing sound the blow off makes?

most small turbos like you will most likely be using will be internally wastegated.
the wastegate allows excess exhaust gases to bypass the turbine stopping overboost.
the blow off valve ges rid of the pressurised intake air when the throttle shuts - the turbo is still spinning but the air has nowhere to go. both do different jobs.
the sound depends on where it is a atmospheric one or a recirculating one

do I also need to increase the whole exhaust as well? I've been thinking about this one, and for a 4cyl, I was thinking 2 1/2 in pipe would be just right. What do you guys think?

2.5 to 3" should be fine. obvoulsly if your going to stupid power then bigger will be better

for the ECU and fueling i suggest you find a local good mapper as it isnt really a DIY job they may have a preference for a certain type of aftermarket ECU and tune via a rolling road

hope this is some help

Last edited: