944 Turbo or Audi S2 Coupe??

jonnocoupe

Car
Audi coupe 2.0E
Hi Guys, Im thinking of buying a new car and the two I have narrowed it down to are Porsche 944 Turbo and Audi S2 coupe. I realise these are both very different cars so please dont point out the obvious, but I'm just interested in other peoples views on each of the cars. I'm looking to spend around £4.5k to £5k and then a bit more later on. One of the reasone I like both of these is that they are both very tuneable and would eventually like to push which everone I get to about 300bhp.

All thoughts and opinions welcome.........

yea, you dont really see many of either of them about any more which is good and bad cos I'm gonna have to do a bit of travelling ot get whichever one i decide on.

The reason I was going for the turbo is the tuneability, Id eventually like to get whichever one I get up to about 300bhp, and I prefer the shape of the 944 to the 968, just personal preferance

Ok I'm here :bigsmile::lol::bigsmile:

944 Turbo all the way. Tune it to whatever power you want although the sweet spot is around the 330bhp mark like mine. Any more and you've got to try and put that power down on the road although my guys who built mine have just completed a 944 Turbo Cabby pushing 418bhp 490ftlb torque :amazed::amazed::amazed: Yes it's still a 2.5ltr 4 cylinder engine.

The 944 turbo was always supposed to have 290bhp but that would of outdragged the 911 Carrera and out handled the 911 turbo back in the Eighties so it was de tuned. A Klaus Hoffmann (the guy who wrote the software originally) remap chip will put you straight back to where it should of been from the factory then the rest of the upgrades I did are here http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f29/my-944-upgrades-10053/.

I can put you in touch with a pretty much minter turbo with the chip already fitted but if you do get a 944 keep a £1000 fund set aside as they are all over 18 years old now and WILL need some form of work doing, haven't seen anyone buy one not needing something yet.

I love them because they are a bespoke sports car not derived from a shopping car hatchback with a badge stuck on it (wait for torrents of abuse:blink1:)

I'll shut up now because you'll notice I'm quite enthusiastic about 944s and I'll go on and on

Good luck

Andy

Forgot to add, don't get a 944 S2/968. N/A Porsche are pretty hard to get much more out of them as they were pretty good to start with;)

Audi is probably a very good car, never driven one myself, but is it exciting not just to drive but to live with?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Was looking at your pics earlier, nice motor!! The one I have in mind has a reconditioned and warranty'd engine in it so there shud be no probs there. Body needs a lot of work but I can do the prep myself and get a guy I know to spray it. Hopefully he shudnt charge too much if im doing the donkey work. I also priced up a full interior retrim and its about £1000 for full leather and carpets. Already has turbo wheels on it so the whole thing shud look pretty good when finished.

Any tuning wud be a bit further down the line but its nice to know you have the option

by the way...the turbo u mentioned earlier.....can u give me some more details on it?

cheers

Was looking at this car at JMG's other day and it is a bueaty, a bit 80's in style with those tele dial wheels but inside and out is unmarked and mechanically it will be spot on, nothing to do to it and white is coming back into fashion isn't it :blink: Previous owner is a well known club member but he's be posted abroad for 3 years and has nowhere to keep it. I thought it had been remapped already but just looking at advert it says it hasn't, sorry must be mixing it with another one, anyway advertn JMGs site is here http://www.jmgarage.com/CAR-SALES/JMG/944TurboTUF-281109/944turboTUF-281109.htm

When you say "body needs a lot of work" how much is a lot? Sills are common rot traps £800 for parts don't get the ones off Fleabay they don't fit all that well. The car your looking at is it from a dealer if so one who is familiar with Porsche's? I can put you in contact with a local Regional Porsche enthusiast group where you could meet up with fellow enthusiasts who would be only to willing to talk Porsche and any pitfalls to look out for. It used to be a Bo'Ness Motor museum but I can look it up.

Look forward to welcoming another 944 enthusiast soon then :D

Andy

Was looking at this car at JMG's other day and it is a bueaty, a bit 80's in style with those tele dial wheels but inside and out is unmarked and mechanically it will be spot on, nothing to do to it and white is coming back into fashion isn't it :blink: Previous owner is a well known club member but he's be posted abroad for 3 years and has nowhere to keep it. I thought it had been remapped already but just looking at advert it says it hasn't, sorry must be mixing it with another one, anyway advertn JMGs site is here http://www.jmgarage.com/CAR-SALES/JMG/944TurboTUF-281109/944turboTUF-281109.htm

When you say "body needs a lot of work" how much is a lot? Sills are common rot traps £800 for parts don't get the ones off Fleabay they don't fit all that well. The car your looking at is it from a dealer if so one who is familiar with Porsche's? I can put you in contact with a local Regional Porsche enthusiast group where you could meet up with fellow enthusiasts who would be only to willing to talk Porsche and any pitfalls to look out for. It used to be a Bo'Ness Motor museum but I can look it up.

Look forward to welcoming another 944 enthusiast soon then :D

Andy

That is a lovely looking car, it's a bit more than I was looking to spend tho, might be worth holding off and saving a bit more cash up to get a good 1!!!

Good 944's especially turbos are going up in value each month as they are hard to find in good condition, why a club enthusiast car is much sort after. This one at JMGs has Jons own warranty which is a no quibble whatever the fault we'll fix it guarantee. This is worth about £1000+ easily by itself. Seeing the distance between the two of you, you could probably negotiate a different price :blink1:

Anyway don't rush it, the right one will turn up eventually but it's fun looking.

Andy

Not about the speed it's about knowing it's there if you need it. Most of the time the engine is a relaxed cruiser and then if you need a bit of punch to get past a queue of traffic you've got the power to do so safely not like these little hatches pulling out then stuck out on the wrong side of the road for ages and ages revving the hell out of the engine trying to build enough speed to get past. 300+ hp is a good mix for the 944, the chassis and mechanics can handle it and your're not stressing the engine at all with the extra power as it was designed to take this power in the first place so it stays reliable.
Jonno don't know if you were aware there's 2 turbo engines aswell, 1986 - 88 had 220 bhp then 1989 - 92 it had 250 bhp, basically a bigger turbo. There is a special edition Turbo S in 1988 which had 250 bhp and all the special suspension/brake options which evolved into the Turbo SE model that I have. Background info can be found here http://www.porsche944uk.co.uk/index.htm
330bhp should be acheived with remap, boost controller, exhaust and breathing bits and fuel delivery bits. Next step is changing the turbo which takes you into the 400+ bhp area.