900 clutch noises

blackca

Car
1990 SAAB spg
The clutch on my 1990 900 spg has started making clicking and squeaking noises going into first. Is this a clutch on its way out or is there an adjustment that can be made?

I am not aware of any slip. Just a sqeaking noise going into first. I'm not sure what crunchy is? Do you mean jerky off the start?

Doesn't sound like the clutch plate itself then. You'll hear the crunch as the gears engage. Its a bit like the sound you get trying to get into reverse whilst rolling forward.

Does the noise change when you depress the clutch in neutral? If so this could indicate a clutch release bearing issue.

A lot of boxes develop a whine in the lower gears, a change of gearbox oil sometimes sorts this out. Does the squeek stop after a while or does it just squeek as you move the gearstick? This could be caused by a stiff linkage, I put some grease on mine and this made the gearchange a bit smoother.

The sqeak comes as the clutch engages, but the clicking is there when the the pedal is depressed whether changing gears or not.

The squeek then does sound like the clutch is slipping a bit. There should be a fair bit of wear left in it I would have thought. The clicking sounds like it might be the release bearing in the clutch. If the box starts crunching into gear then get it sorted immediately to avoid wear on the gearbox.

Glad to hear, it's scheduled for a maintenance this week so hopefully they get it worked out.

Turns out it is the release bearing. The shop told me there is a bit of time left but to get ready for the inevitable. Fortunately the clutch is just an overnight courier away, so it'll only be down a couple of days. A quicker turn around than getting work done on my laptop. Thanks for the advice.

Glad you can get it sorted. Don't wait till you breakdown though get it done sooner rather than later - these things never happen at convenient times.