9-3 Fault Code

KBaker

Car
'05 9-3 Aero
Greetings all,

I bought my '05 9-3 Aero back in Jan '13 and currently has just over 110k miles. While driving the other day my car bogged down for a second while accelerating onto the highway and my CEL came on. I took it to Advance Auto Parts for a free code read (haven't purchased a scanner yet). It came back with a P1312 error code. I was told that it is indicative of an issue with one of the ignition coils. Is it possible that it could be an issue with the spark plug(s) or spark plug wire(s)? I'm not looking forward to replacing the coils themselves. If I do have to replace the coils, does anyone know where I can get them for cheap? Thanks

Kurtis

*Update

My CEL cleared itself last night. However, it still feels like it misfires occasionally when under moderately heavy acceleration and when up near 3500 RPM. I have no issues with starting the car and no issues outside of previously mentioned circumstances. I'm beginning to think it may be a loose wire (roads here are terribly uneven). I will check when I change the oil this weekend.

generally CELs will clear after 10 or so engine starts with no errors. its more likely to missfire under load than under light load.
were they able to tell you what cylinder that the missfire was on or can the saab ecu not tell you that? if it does move the suspect coil to another cylinder and see if it moves as well.
while your changing the oil also pull out the sparks and give them the once over to see what they are like

I believe it was cylinder 2. I have an itch to replace all the spark plugs just for my own peace of mind so I may end up doing that. I will definitely try moving the coil. Thanks for the info.

9-3's between 2003 and 2006 are uber fussy with spark plugs (NGK are recommended). The coils are rascals and as such are not too expensive to replace. Take off the coil cover and look down on top of the coil, it should be a creamy white colour, if there is a very dark discoloration then it is sure sign that all is not well. Please consult the manual for the correct gap for the spark plug to use for your model, there is no such thing as a generic gap for these cars, I think 0.8mm is what your looking for but please confirm as some models on a changeover year prefer 1.0mm.

For the coils try this place; http://www.genuinesaab.com/index.htm

Last edited:
I was unable to change my spark plugs as the car shop I use to work on my car closed at 5pm not 9pm. But I did take a look at the coils. They are all nicely black. I did however buy the tools I was missing so I can change them at home. So, bright and early tomorrow morning I will be swapping plugs.

I did however discover that my drivers side fog light assembly is completely shot. The previous owner cut out the portion of the lower engine cover that protected it and the plastic cap was gone. Looks like I'll be buying a new assembly, lower engine cover, and a wheel arch liner as some of the screw mounts are broken out of it.

A 2005 9-3 Aero does not have any HT leads so that's one off the fault finding list ;) I see they also recommend NGK plugs, bizarre how fussy these damn cars are :lol: