850 T5R Tuning & Performance Build Potential?

chappyT25

Car
VW T25
Evening all,

We're in the porcess of designing our next project which looks likely to be powered by a Volvo 850 lump.

Rather than go the usual V8 route, we're thinking that the transverse 5 cyl Volvo Turbo motor would be a very nice fit. But, we need big horse power, so I'm looking for some guidance and experience on how far it can go.

We'd be rebuilding the motor anyway, so cams, turbo, rods, pistons, manifolds etc can all be taken into the equation.

Our biggest question is around gearbox durability - we don't have any experience of how well the standard manual box stands up to big power.

Any thoughts? :D

Greetings and Welcome! ;)

Hey thanks :D I've been reading some of the tech threads with great interest. Seems like you guys have a wealth of knowledge on what the volvo lump is capable of.

Looking forward to scanning through the forum for those golden nuggest of info to help us on our quest :bigsmile:

Ah, that's good to know. We're looking at between 400 to 500 ultimately, but there are other considerations to take into account.

The plan is to fit a standard (maybe with remap ;) ) motor, just so we can get the geometry of the subframe and mounts right, and make sure everything is where it needs to be for the swing arms/driveshaft etc. It'll give us a chance to assess driveability and handling too - no point in having the welly if you can't get it down sensibly:bigsmile:

We'll keep the stock motor in it until the project is complete - it'll give us a chance to drive the snags and bugs out of it without having the added stress of having to babysit a new motor too! Once it's had all the other issues shaken out, we'll look to install a rebuilt performance motor.

The end goal is to create a capable and well behaved alternative to the traditional re-engined VW T25 (which usually use Subaru motors and stock VW boxes, big diesels, other VW motors and occasionally porsche motors) that we can show, drive daily if we wanted to and take down the strip now and again ;) :bigsmile:

I read a lot of threads changes, but most of these threads are T5 and R, and you never know what the statistics are a way of performance. Sure, there are power and torque figures and even the charts, I would like to know what the Volvo is the best potential development of the small budget that will give the best 'Sports Tourer' in the round.

iv had two of them now and they've all done it. some might say its me but it doesn't happen to any other car iv owned. the miles were up on my motors all da same. wouldnt help.

iv had two of them now and they've all done it. some might say its me but it doesn't happen to any other car iv owned. the miles were up on my motors all da same. wouldnt help.
I think you've just been unlucky mate, mine is on 225k miles now with close to 400bhp and the box is fine, just make sure the cables are ajusted right on the linkage

1st one had 190k and the other had 130k ish. the syncro is away on the one ive got now. wot in your opinion would be the best thing to do to a tyred 850t5 with 190k on her?
1. i would be up for restoring her back to factory glory,
2. strip her to the bones, do up the engine and race her (bare in mind theres no such thing as track days over here,
3. do some major fabrication and go back-wheel-drive.
love the sound of the later!!!

im sooooooo tempted!!!! fabrication isn't a problem for me, ive plenty of time (no money though ha). theres piles of space under the bonnet and sue cutting the tunnel is only a challenge. testing the car after will be the only problem. would i be wrecking a future classic?

I saw one that had over 500bhp but that'll cost big money. His was fwd so god knows hoe he got the power down.

When you've finished make sure you post a vid so we can hear that 5 cylinder scream :)