7" tablet as car radio

I have seen a car with a cradle kit that fixes to the side of the gearbox console that holds an iPad. I would then assume connection to the car stereo system via an aux connection and power via the cigarette lighter.
Am I right in assuming you are looking for a permanent installation? and if so, I think you would have to build a surround housing that would disguise the fact that it was an iPad, or realistically I see a very short life in your car before some rascal decides it would be better of with them.

Am I right in assuming you are looking for a permanent installation?

Yep that is right.

I assume that it is a good idea to install an amp of some sort as well because of the output of a tablet.

Have a look at my carputer thread
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f49/my-carputer-install-5608/

youd need to do something similar with the casing of the ipad bonded into the car. best idea would be to try and find a smashed ipad that you can get the outer case off and build it into a spare dash before transferring your working ipad into the bonded case.

you would have to wire up power and audio output up permeatly along with fitting an amp and connecting the speakers up.

when i did my computer i didnt amp it up directly i put the head unit in the boot and ran the PC into the aux connection

another site to look at would be mp3car.com as they are pased around in car entertainment with the likes of carputers and tablets. i done a fair bit of reading off there before i started

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back