68' VW Beetle crisis

H

Hayley

Hi everyone, I really need some beetle advice.

My beautiful 68' beetle (white with clown spots in different colours-very hippy) needs a new engine.

I am faced with the choice of an: as is where is sale (with engine not going, does have a WOF and Registration)

Or get it fixed NZ$1500-2000 and sell on as a running vehicle. I bought the VW for less than the cost to replace the engine.

Has my beetle increased in value enough to risk the cost of the repair?

HELP:confused:

What is the exact problem with the engine? Can you source an old engine to swap in rather than fix it?

You will usually get next to nothing for a "broken" car so a fix is usually the best option but I don't know what the resale prices are like in New Zealand.

Hi everyone, I really need some beetle advice.

My beautiful 68' beetle (white with clown spots in different colours-very hippy) needs a new engine.

I am faced with the choice of an: as is where is sale (with engine not going, does have a WOF and Registration)

Or get it fixed NZ$1500-2000 and sell on as a running vehicle. I bought the VW for less than the cost to replace the engine.

Has my beetle increased in value enough to risk the cost of the repair?

HELP:confused:
Not sure of NZ prices but in Australia I would be looking to pick up engine from
wrecker or private seller of perhaps a damaged vehicle.
A good running 1600 is usually around $AUD800 here though you can also buy a rough beetle for the same price in running condition