620Ti battery problem

hi there again my battery i tested was 12.8 and then i started it up it was 13.5. but apart from that its not that coz its draining again . how do i do a volt meter test to see if anythings is on in the car over night coz that might be leaking the battery. any help on that me with rover 620 ti

It sounds like the battery is not holding its charge, the alternator is giving it 13.5 volts.

Is it a sealed battery or does it need topping up? Do you have a car alarm or aftermarket radio or massive ICE install? Is the boot light or something else left on by mistake?

Can you get the battery tested locally?

no mate new battery i had 2 already wats new all the same prob. today i did a key off test to see wats draining the battery. i got a dvm and setterd it to 200 dc v. but it reads 12.5 is that right or am i doing it wrong way. dvm red wire on the battery red post and the black dvm on the batt wire in series.

that sounds right but it should be in parrell.
reading the voltage isnt going to tell you anything you need to see if theres any current getting drawn.
youll need an ammeter for this, a multimeter will allow you to check this.

if tn is right you could use the multimeter to check whether or not the realys are closed.
check the resistance

My mums neighbour has the same prob on a probe. Battery keeps going flat overnight. It turns out it's the relay for the windscreen wipers they've removed the fuse for them and now it has stopped draining the battery... It's worth a try and costs nothing to have a look...

yeah a couple of hours just remember to lock yourself inside the car with the ignition off (incase its the central locking relay thats stuck)

Fuse box on a Ti is under the bonnet mate. Just turn the interior light off and leave a door open. Or leave the window down. Either is good. But I really would suspect a relay. Check everything in the car the is electrical. Ie lights,window wipers, Rear demister. If you hear a click it's a relay..

sorry mate i meant multi tester its the same init. which option do i use which buttons . wat is dc on the left or right on the tester , which wire goes where . how do i do the test thanks

more or less now yeah, on older ones you needed different ones for each ie ammeter, voltmeter and ohmmeter.

AC is a wavy line
DC is a solid line with a dotted line underneath

its ether that or they will be marked, on mine there is only 2 AC settings 200v or 600v where as on the DC settings theres 3 20v 200v and 600v

again, on mine, DC is on left AC is right its a draper one.

red wire goes to live and black to earth - doesnt really matter as it will ether show posiive or negitive.

for measuring resistance set it to Ω and touch the leads togeather it should show 0 and when apart 1. measure across the relays (TN might be able to tell you what pins are what) on a standard one its pins 85 and 86 thats the switch 30 is battery and 87 the accessory. put the leads on pins 85 and 86. if its shows 1 then it the relay is open, this is what you want. if its closed it means that there is current going to the accessory

thanks for that mate. do u know how i do a drain test to see if my battery is leaking

If you have bought a new battery I wouldn't think that it was that leaking. Go to a local garage they usually offer free battery tests now. Does all the electrical items work in your car? I mean everything?

no mate like as in the new batterys i put in they all drain out in days. so how do i do a test my self on it

no mate like as in the new batterys i put in they all drain out in days. so how do i do a test my self on it

Where did you get the new battery from? If it was a brand new battery it wouldn't drain itself. Check that all the electricals work in the car and if you find something that doesn't work properly take the fuse out and try it over night without the fuse.

yeh new from halfolds well every thing i tryed it works fine can there be a drain in there somewhere

i found that when i clicked the key over once i heard a noise coming from bonnet but cant find where. i think thats why my battery is draining over night .

ok it might be. and today i did the drain test to see if anything over night is draining my batt. i got a multi tester and did the test reading 12.5 thats on 20 dc settings . is that right

I'm unsure about the drain test? The first thing I would do is make sure everything inside the car electrical works properly. Also just a thought there is a light in the boot make sure the switch when you shut the boot is working. Just a thought and may well be worth checking. Is the head unit still in the car?

well i found the stereo in the car when i bought the car . i had it for abt 2 month and the man told me like drive the car every day coz the batt will go dead. so u think he said it coz there is something wrong with the car

well i found the stereo in the car when i bought the car . i had it for abt 2 month and the man told me like drive the car every day coz the batt will go dead. so u think he said it coz there is something wrong with the car

Yes definitely. Try searching for suspect DIY wiring. That could be a cause. What mods has the car got that would require electric?

thats mate

Your welcome buddy. It's baffling me to be honest. The only thing I can think of doing is taken 1 or 2 Relays out at night and see if the battery is flat the next morning.. If it is then just put them back and try another 2 the next night until you find out which 1. I am almost sure this prob is down to a relay somewhere on your car...

am stuck i dont no where the relay is how does it look

Right if you open your bonnet to the left you'll see a black box. Its on the driver side. Inside there is your fuse box. The relays are the big box type things in there.This is what a relay looks like
AR32K.jpg

And right at the bottom left of this pic is the fuse box under the bonnet.

Attachments

• 16122008050.jpg
    16122008050.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 2