53cooper s.. supercharger not very super?!

mikey 21

Car
cooper s 53plate
On purchase of my cooper s 4 months ago, i was pleasantly suprised by the amount of power when putting my foot down, especially when the revs went over 2500 there seemed to be an instant/constant boost.. which would pin you to your seat!
After driving through terrible wet weather.. which is v common in wales!! i noticed a loss of performance in the morning, and there was no boost.. it was more gradual power. I took it to mini and they said that it road tested fine!
Im not saying its slow, but theres definately a loss in power/torque or something, im thinking maby something wrong with the supercharger but havnt really got a clue, all i know is that its not as much 'fun' as it use to be...
frown.gif

Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting it fixed? many thanks!

start by looking for burst / split pipes,
do you know what boost it should be running ? if so get a guage fitted and check it.
also check any blow off valve / diverter valves not stuck open or split

Agreed, check for split pipes etc...

Has it been used for short runs only? Is it due for a service? Have you change brand or grade of fuel recently? Try a tank of Super Unleaded and some redex.

The only real way of telling is to put it up on a rolling road and see what the power curve is like.

I would ask how many miles have you done? Below 5000 miles the car would not be stable, power will change gradually depends. At this time the pistons need time to run smoothly also all other parts of the car.
I think it is nothing about supercharger, maybe your feeling is uneven, haha...

After first service, oil change will be carried out and drive until 10k miles will see real power of your car.

This is pretty typical of the bypass valve on the supercharger becoming weak!
Basically the spring on the bypass valve has either snapped or become weak over time!
I think they are around £60 from bmw/mini and can be fitted yourself if you have the haynes manual aswell!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back