500 rpm?

hyrich

Wrench Pro
Car
Saxo vts
Hello, I just wandered if anyone knows what the idle speed should be on my engine?

My car is a 92' Honda Civic hatchback 1.5 16v single point injection....

Recently I have noticed that the idle speed is dropping resulting in jumpy pull-aways and a small amount of chugging at low revs...

Today it seems to have peaked with my idle speed sat at 500 rpm resulting in the engine feeling a little lumpy when idling.

Any help on this would be most appreciated, also can any one tell me where the idle adjust screw is and can I turn it up myself to remedy my problem?

Thanks, Rich..

Hi rich 500 does sound a little low but I'm not sure what it should be on those. Maybe Prince would be able to give a better guess.

The modern injection engines are computer controlled so there is unlikely to be an idle screw although you might adjust your throttle cable tension a little - this however will not address the real cause of the low idle.

Is it better when it warms up/or from cold? I suspect you might have an air sensor issue. When was it last serviced?

Its worse when the engine is warm, when I start it from cold, the automatic choke is on until it warms up and the idle is just over 1000 rpm.....

I have recently spent £131.75 at my local garage hear is what the bill says.....

Scan vehicle using diagnostic equipment - 6 engine coolant temp, supply and fit new sensor, top up cooling system.....

Now, this is the bit I dont understand? Clear codes from ECU...... What does that mean? Also, £131.75 seemed like alot of money for what he did?

I bet most of that was for fitting the sensor. Clear codes from ECU resets the errors. It would be helpful to know what the errors were.

yep, the labour was £42.75 1 1/2 hours.... maybe i'll have to take it down to him to have a look....
I don't like paying for work to be done on cars!!!... Although I don't consider myself in any way a mechanic, I worked in a garage (when I left school) from the age of 15 to 19, and so feel like I should be able to cope with minor problem that crop up....

if its chugging on pull away its probably choking, take youe air filter out and drive it up the road and back (as long as its not an unmade road) and see if the problem persists, if it doesnt just clean or replace your airfilter.

an hour and half seems a long time to change a sensor and clear fault codes.

It takes about 30 secs to clear fault codes (although i do charge £25 for hooking the scanner up) but the coolant sensor should have taken 30 mins tops.

you can adjust the distributer cap,,,i think theres 3 bolts 2 on top and 1 on bottom look at it straight,not from above,if you cant see them,,send me a pic of the thing and il show you......anyway if you know what im on about,,,warm your car to normal running tempeture and loosen the 3 bolts [DONY UNSCREW ALL THE WAY,,JUST ENOUGH SO YOU CAN MOVE THE DISTRIBUTER] and then twist it either left or right...you will hear the engiene changing sound.if you have a mate to help you ,,its better as you will need to check the revs.....prince is right,,,800 is what it should be at...when was the last time the car was serviced????? that can also be a proplem with ideling

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back