4Runner in need of boost

BobZ

Car
Toyota 1990 4Runner
Hi I am new to this forum.
I have a 1990 Toyota 4 Runner which I have owned since it had 50000 K on the clock. It now has 427000 K 0n it. I have done a restoration on it and have been over it end to end. Unfortunately it is fitted with a 4YE engine coupled to an Aisin A340H auto trans. Consequently it does not have a lot of get up and go.
I have completely rebuilt the engine and the auto trans. The engine had crank grind, new pistons, Rings & bearings,Timing chain and Cylinder head rework.
I was amazed to find that after all those Kilos the cylinders had no wear. No lip and in fact in places you could still see faint traces of the original hone marks.
I know there will be some that will tell me to do a transplant but I am one of those that likes to restore to original. That does not mean that I am not prepared to make some modifications that may contribute to an increase in power. At the moment it does nought to 100K in 6. That minutes of course !
Any un rude suggestions will be appreciated.
BobZ

Queensland has the best state league team as well , got a phone number or two for you but unsure how to get them to you

Last edited:
Yes Pedros it is a 2.2 L fuel injected

Yes lexus 8 they do have a pretty good league team but I follow Australian Rules the real football game and we did have a good team some years back 3 premierships in a row.

Aussie Rulz , there are no rules , is there a reason why you cant receive private messages

Yes there is a reason lexus8, it's because BobZ is a new member with less than 10 posts made. As soon as Bob reaches 10 posts his name will go into bold type print and then he will be able to PM and post up photos.

T9 man
Moderator.

Hi Lexus8
Had a look at gallery photo. Looks great I bet its got plenty of get up and go with the V8.
Is it auto. what trans.
Mine has A340H aisin which has hydro transfer. Real fun to rebuild. weighs a ton and about 1& 1/2 metres long.

When I got it it was an auto but I dont lke autos so put a 5 speed manual in it , went from doing 320ks per tank to doing about 475 ks per tank and it sorted out a boy racer one night at the lights

Since my last thread I have made a couple of minor adjustment which have improved drivability slightly.
I adjusted kick down cable to make changes earlier an have changed to premium unleaded which has allowed me to advance spark a few degrees.
Still waiting for other suggestions.
BobZ

Hi Waynne
No I haven't done anything special like that yet I just had the head surfaced,valves and seat faced standard.
May look at more extensive mods down the track.
I do think I may have a fuel mixture problem. Exhaust sooty?
Any advice on mixture adjustment on the EFI system would help.
Thanks
BobZ

Hey Bobz , try these , Dead O2 sensor

Fuel lines on around the wrong way

Stale fuel

Timing wrong

Tappets set wrong

Back to basics first but on the air flow meter is a plug that can be pulled out and there's a mixture adjustment under. But dirty injectors or a dicky ECU can cause the same thing

Hi lexus8
Thanks for suggestions.
Fuel Ok
Valve lifters are Hydraulic
Ignition and valve timing have been checked
Don't know what you mean by fuel lines around the wrong way
They can only go one way.
Did not know about adjustment on air flow meter. You are not referring to the adjustment on the throttle body for idle speed?
Do you know how to test CO2 sensor?
Thanks for your time and interest
BobZ

Sorry Bobz cant remember how to check them (o2 sensors ) but if you google it you should find out , other option is to just replace them as they are not to expensive , then its problem solved or crossed off the list

Last edited:
Been a little while. purchased and fitted new oxy sensor as you suggested but haven't been able to test as have had vehicle off the road. Has a fairly loud tapping noise coming from somewhere that I can't locate. During rebuild the engine had crank grind, new bearings, piston,gudgeons and rings, head reworked hydro lifters cleaned and checked. the noise is not coming from the lifters. I have just removed the transmission to check the drive plate and convertor. Ran engine with conv bolted to drive plate, no tranny still had noise. I am in the progress of refitting trans. Its no use asking for advice on this one as you cannot hear the noise.
will keep you posted

Yes it did come quickly but that is bound to happen when you have somebody taking an interesting your problem. Did you send a post asking where I am in Aus, It came up but for some reason I lost it. Anyway I am in a town in Queensland called Nambour, about 100 Klm north of Brisbane on what they call the sunshine coast even though it seems to have been raining for 2 months.

This 70 year old brain is a bit thick. I am having trouble navigating the forum site.
I finally found the private messages the one from you just said Hi from trevour, Did you send anything else.
I think I need a tutorial.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back