4g63 + turbo?

F

Frostbite

Hello, I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse 2G GS 2.0L Naturally Aspirated 4g63 engine and I'm considering a turbo for it. I've read a bit on the internet about fitting a turbo on a N/A engine and some people don't recommend doing it. However, the Eclipse GS-T and GS-X come with turbo straight from the factory and as far I know, it's the same 4g63 engine. Does that mean it's a bit healthier? I'm not very familiar with the technical terms of an engine, I understand the basics and the essential information with how the engine interacts with the turbo etc, and I realize that I'm going to have to buy a kit and change a number of parts. However, I'm interested in knowing exactly what else I need to do. Do I need a new ECU? Will my engine be able to bear the compression? Will I be able to do this myself? Do I need to upgrade and other parts, like fuel pump etc? I consider myself a handy person, but I'm not going to be able to weld/modify complicated parts myself. What do I have to expect for a project like this?
Experiences, tips and price estimates will be received with gratitude! I'm hoping it's doable, considering the other Eclipse models come with the same engine combined with a turbo.
The car is a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2G GS N/A 2.0L with approximately 200K KM.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

Not familiar with that engine but I am sure that there is someone on here who is.
Good luck with your project |B

I would recommend an aftermarket ECU something like the Apex i to take over. Have you looked at an engine swap with say an Evo engine or the Turbo unit designed for your car?

There is much more difference than just the turbo, the timing, compression ratio's and strength of internal components are all uprated on the tubo. An engine swap is the easiest route, and while you are at it you could probably hike up the power a little more.

The gear ratios are AFIK different as well so you'd be looking at changing the gearbox or putting up with very short gear ratios.