407 Hdi project...

Pkelly

Car
Peugeot 407 2.0Hdi
Hi,..
New to this forum and wanting some advice on Tunning up my
Peugeot 407 2.0Hdi 136Bhp...

ive seen alot of parts on the market that state they ramp up torque and BHP along with numerous ECU remapping companys but i would like the insiders view on the best full refit of my motor

so if anyone has an idea and could pass me a list of parts that work together, And the name of a reliable ECU remapping firm i would be greatful..

Cheers....:D

Cheers,.. glad to be here

so far im looking at:-

K and N cold air intake -
ECU remap - +28-50BHP depending on provider
sports clutch - +10% bhp transfer
custom free flow sports exhaust - +10-15% BHP
and sports springs

What i need to know is.. are these good choices and is therer anything else i can do...

cheers again,.......

Last edited:
just go with a good re-map, there lies your hp. wasting your time with the exhaust and K and N. your talking about a diesel here that has a torque range of 2k revs not a screamer petrol. change the clutch and weld up the fly-wheel (im not telling you its a good thing to weld up a dual-mass fly-wheel but if it was my car id do it).

just go with a good re-map, there lies your hp. wasting your time with the exhaust and K and N. your talking about a diesel here that has a torque range of 2k revs not a screamer petrol. change the clutch and weld up the fly-wheel (im not telling you its a good thing to weld up a dual-mass fly-wheel but if it was my car id do it).

Cheers for the advice fella...

If I sound a bit thick you'll have to excuse me.. what effect does welding up tje fly wheel have? Im assuming it has somthing to do with increasing the mass of the fly... but need a clearer picture

the DMF makes less vibration and smoother changes. downside it whacking a lot of torque through it and the springs start to weaken. when the dmf goes it will wear out the clutch alot quicker as well. welding up the flywhele is a cheaper option to fitting a smf

the DMF makes less vibration and smoother changes. downside it whacking a lot of torque through it and the springs start to weaken. when the dmf goes it will wear out the clutch alot quicker as well. welding up the flywhele is a cheaper option to fitting a smf

Ahh ok, Cheers mate answers that.. is there really nothing else that can be done or is worth doing to enhance performance..

Oh and could anyone provide the name of a reputable ecu remapping firm.. id rather use one thats got a good rep and know to have been used before.

Cheers

Would an oil cooler be of any use, there are a number on the market... unsure if it would benefit the car.

Or is it a waste of money ...

try amd essex seeing theyre near you.

an oil cooler yes uts a good idea if your going to be tracking the car otherwise maybe not. best idea would be to get a oil temp guage and probe fitted to begine with. if the oil temp is going high then it might be an idea to aid cooling a bit otherwise waste of money

Ok.. cheers ill give amd a look?

As for the oil cooler, track fays will b few and far between to start with.. so a temp gauge may be the best place to start.

Hello Davalav..

Turbo back.. do you mean an exhaust back box or a mod of the engine turbo system?

Im new if u couldnt tell.

Hello Davalav..

Turbo back.. do you mean an exhaust back box or a mod of the engine turbo system?

Im new if u couldnt tell.

He means it is a full exhaust system that starts from the turbo in the front on the engine and it goes all the way through to the exhaust tips at the back of the car.

Hello and welcome. I'd avoid fiddling with the intake system altogether - there's nothing really to gain. An ECU remap will set you up nicely though.

Check out http://www.celtictuning.co.uk

I had the 2.2 HDi unit remapped and the results were sensational. You're 2.0 engine is a later design and has a better turbocharger configuration so should be better still.

They can alter the accelerator pedal response curve to make the car feel more responsive but you can't totally get around the turbo latency entirely. You'll learn to drive around it though and it's quite good fun to be honest. Sometimes a remap can make the car feel even more 'laggy'. Two reasons:

1. Takes longer to build up the higher level of boost.

2. The amount of torque on full boost is greater and therefore contrasts with the relative lack of torque 'off' boost.

Happy tuning

Last edited:
Hello..

Thanks for all the good advice.

So far I think im looking at... and excuse me if im wrong (newbie after all)
a good ecu remap
Sports exhaust back to turbo
Sports clutch for more transfer to the wheels and possibly sports springs to keep any gains I make with the mods pumped into the tarmack

How does that sound.... and anything else u guys think would be good or advisable? ??

Cheers

Oh and I looked up celtictuning.. good but a little far for me to drive, it'd be a weekend away from home.. ;)

old gits son used to be a mobile tuner for celtic tuning. dont know if he still does. try pinging him a PM as they are in essex as well.

if your changing the springs you might want to look at the dampners as well as they could be getting on a bit as well now

Hello..

Thanks for all the good advice.

So far I think im looking at... and excuse me if im wrong (newbie after all)
a good ecu remap
Sports exhaust back to turbo
Sports clutch for more transfer to the wheels and possibly sports springs to keep any gains I make with the mods pumped into the tarmack

How does that sound.... and anything else u guys think would be good or advisable? ??

Cheers

Oh and I looked up celtictuning.. good but a little far for me to drive, it'd be a weekend away from home.. ;)

Celtic does have a nearly nationwide network of operators. In fact their first outpost was in Ireland (I am thinking back to 2005/2006 era) tho I am unsure if this was Northern Ireland GB or 'proper' Ireland, namely Eire. I am pretty sure they'll cover Essex for you if you fancy engaging them.

Failing that take a weekend away in Newquay and enjoy playing with the newfound muscle on the way home!! It takes a couple of hundred miles for the car to learn it's new parameters. Sure it's much much livelier straight away but I found that with time the ECU's short term learning of the driver's habits makes the car feel quicker still.

Im an not sure you will gain all that much from an exhaust upgrade to be honest. Diesel engines are usually spent by 5000rpm.

Trust me you will me staggered by the results that the extra torque offers.

Last edited:
Newquay's an interesting idea...

Thanks for the insight Hdifun, but now im alittle confused on the exhaust front.. and yes mines done at 5000rpm... some say good idea some saying bad idea....

Plus on a side note, anyone know anytging about peugeot paintwork, ive got some bird dump scarring on most of the body panels lots of little dull patches.

I spoke to a local (back street) spray shop and he stated it could only be repaired with a tottal respray as its peugeot paint.... anyone else heard of this before I get the rubbing compound and Tcut out.