330d vs 325 tds

geraint13

Pro Tuner
Car
Zafira 1.9 SRI
im in need of opinions gents n ladies. As u all know i got the 325 and will have the cas to start modding it alot. So was looking thru ebay and just for a thought i starrted looking at 330d. They range frm 2k to 6k and was thinking should i just forget about doing the 325 and just get a 330 as the end result from the 325 will be close to a remapped 330d.
So i ask this, if it was you, which would you go for and why ?

Just need some other input and advice. Cheers peeps.

This is a tough one, for me anyway! On the one hand, I would love the challenge of making the 325 perform to it's fullest potential. Then there is also the easier route of remapping a 330d. :confused:
If the money and time is there, then go for the big mod on the 325 young Gee, at the end of the day it will be more satisfying I think. If however, time and funds are not in your favour, then go for the 330d and a remap. Sorry! wish I could have been more helpful to you ;)

cheers T9, thats the thing see, time. Got alot of things goin on atm. So the 330d would be quicker. But the 325 is my baby lol. Will keep on mulling over it and let u kno lol. Any other views peeps ?

The 330d will flatten the 325 tds.

There's nothing you can do with the tds to make it stand a chance of keeping pace with a remapped 330d. Even in stock tune the 330d is extremely lively - the earliest ones still put out 185bhp in std tune.

My advice is to go for the Steptronic auto in the 330d and remap it. The Steptronic 'box well matched to the diesel engine's torque delivery and gives you a lazy two pedal drive with effortless muscle under your right foot.

Go for it - it's a gentleman's carriage with truly usable muscle.

neverhad a tiptronic before so it will be a new experience. Thanks for the opinion. It is looking like i will be going for a 330d.
Just remember to keep me a hpi check pls paul.

neverhad a tiptronic before so it will be a new experience. Thanks for the opinion. It is looking like i will be going for a 330d.
Just remember to keep me a hpi check pls paul.

I'll try but they are generally first come first served. You can buy a single one for about 15 quid anyway, directly from The AA or many other organisations who access the same data.

I just happened to buy 6 in a bunch (only £30 for the lot) and only used one.

The Tiptronic is not that special really, the gearbox is still a traditional torque converter style automatic but it's all under ECU control. The Tip' shifts are not as swift as a manual would be but the auto box works very well left to it's own thing. BMW calls this adaptive automatic transimission. But you can still select Drive S which does change the 'feel' quite bit.

Personally I'd ignore the non-Steptronic (Tiptronic) auto boxes as these are GM sourced and have been reported to be problematical. The Tip boxes are by ZF and allegedly are a lot more reliable in the loger term.

i asked the very same question, i now have a nice boston green 325 tds on my drive which im getting stuck into, if you want to get deep into a project and are a hands on person go for the 325 tds, you wont be let down with the capabilities of the m51engine trust me and it will still return a sensible 40-45+ mpg, if you want a bit more comfort and an 'easier life' go for the 330d, yet again, once these are remapped, you wont be let down either