32 GTR project with a difference

I thought I would post up details of my other project.

Basically I am restoring an early 32GTR back to completely original spec that is exactly as it came out of the factory.

The car is a 1991 32GTR . Its main clain to fame is that it is in the rarest nissan factory colour . The code is BLO and it was a special order only.

It is a quite a strange pearlescent and can look grey, steel blue or even lilac in different lights.

27032008009.jpg

27032008015-2.jpg

31032008019.jpg

the32pic.jpg

I imported in from japan 2 or 3 years ago with the intention in having something different .......... a stock GTR

It seemed quite close to stock and only needed - suspension , air filters , exhaust and a few minor other things or so I thought.................

Last edited:
Unfortunately the wheels have to go as they are aftermarket . Its a shame cos they really set off the car

Anyway a few bits ready to be fitted

standard refurbished wheels
28012007525.jpg

interior from a 23.ooo mile GTR
05062007466.jpg

05062007468-1.jpg

The seats are not even faded at the edges,

Also a rare find new original GTR suspension still in the Nissan boxes

05062007464.jpg

Very nice Sleeper, it looks well clean for the year and as you say it's a pity about the wheels? Stroke of good luck with regards to the dampers and still in the box too :amazed:

Very nice Mr Sleeper. I think the wheels will look better as standard.

Its a shame the front bumper wasn't a bit bigger/wider/lower standard. I think the only thing I'd change is that. But I supose your not looking to mod, but to rather ''de-mod'' :D

absolutely
I dont need (or cant afford ) two modded cars . The idea is once it is finished is that it wont cost much to keep as I wont be upgrading anything.

some more pics

engine bay before
03092008172-1.jpg

After about a weekends serious cleaning and restoring the after pics with original strut brace and yes they were bright red for some reason.

IMG_0737.jpg
IMG_0734.jpg

Very nice. What did you use to clean it? Im doing mine in Feb when I get back. Im doing the whole engine bay, and replacing everything with Samco hoses. What did you use to ''bring it back to life''?

There are no short cuts .

Fortunately the car wasnt at all rusty . Even in the first pic its not that bad so it wasnt too dhard

The engine bay took a weekend in time but spread over a month or so

Nothing was repainted just degreased and cleaned/polished . I was helped because nissan actually used a semi gloss paint in the engine bay on this special order colour . This made it a lot easier to get back to looking good than the standard semi matt finish

Wow stunning! They look good even today, a true classic imo. Not even going for some cheeky lowering springs? :D

No stock is exactly that.

I know the car may look/handle/sound better but I have one silly car so this is all about being original factory stuff.

In fact the car had a serious spec as std it was a very quick car when it came out in 1969

Std wheels were forged and weigh nothing
exhaust was 3" all the way from downpipes
and whilst the suspension isnt coilover is was still pretty fair

On the subject of the exhaust
Took over a year to find a mint original exhaust.
It was bead blasted alloy sprayed and then painted with vht exhaust paint to get back to looking stock
gtrex.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

moved the car today to a double garage at my mums .
IMG_0699.jpg

Power and a compressor are being sorted next week and so will have proper heating and tools and can hopefully finish the project over Christmas .

a few more pics
the boot is a notorious rust trap on 32s. Fortunately not here

IMG_0198.jpg

even the original carpet and harboard cover for the spare wheel are still there and OK

Looks realyl nice that mate, one thing I would do though on a car like that is underseal it where possible even if it won't come out on rainy days.

Ive toyed with undersealing but decided against it

The plan is that it wont be out in the wet and getting a decent undersealing job is difficult.

Also contrary to popular belief the japnese weather is sometimes worse on the north island than in the uk . I know the car was very well treated in japan because the guiy who sourced the car in japan knew the previuos owner and it has lasted for 20 years as it is .

Weather in Japan is simular to ours but more extreme. Only they don't use salt on the roads AFAIK but I could be wrong there.

Do you not just want to clean and clear waxoyl the whole lot? Looks original but adds that extra layer of protection.

Who's is the 911? Is it a Targa or is it just the light? Honestly if it's yours I'm going to get my jealous stick out lol.

sorry you will need to get that stick out

It is a 1973 2.4 911T targa. I have had it for last 20ish years
4 owners from new Has full porsche service history and all MOTs mileage is 103K.
Came out the factory with proper 73 carrera seats and front spoilers and lots of porsche extras
Engine was rebuilt 2000 miles ago but nfortunately needs full restoration (all wings sills, door shuts and exhaust ) as pre 76 ones rusted badly as were not galvanised.
On the plus side it still has the early bumpers which are rare
some pics taken in the 90s
Car is stock apart from rear wing (from 80s turbo )
image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

It isnt that simple

Restoration costs for the 911 will be at least £10 K if I get the work done by somebody else and I dont have that kind of spare money.

I can do most of it but it will take an awful lot of time .
Bearing in muind it has taken me two years to do the GTR thats not an option.

And I still have to do things to the stagea as it is a high maintainance car.

Im afraid the 911 will have to wait unless I win the lottery .

I'm liking the progress so far mate. I'd be way too tempted to mod it though.

I might be if it wasnt for the fact that I already have the stagea with a forged GTR engine running 580 ish bhp

So actually keeping it stock gives me something to drive around town as a stock GTR doesnt have any lag

Really impressed with this Sleeper, it's a wise/shrewd move as well a straight unmolested Skyline is just going to appreciate.

I thought the same thing! I wonder how many standard untickered with models there are actually on the road? It must be such a temptation to start putting on the toys onto one of these monsters as soon as you get one!

Thanks for the positive comments

I have been a memeber of the the GTRoc for about 5 years and have a build thread on there as well -
General opinion is that as far as we know once it is finished this will be the only one on the road in the UK that is completely original spec as it came out the factory.
Which is exactly why I am doing it .

It has turned out much more difficult than I ever imagined , not because of cost or actual difficulty but simply because some original factory parts are close to unobtainable .

For example I needed a dashboard without holes splits or bubbles as most are damaged in some way
One arrived on christmas eve It only cost £100 inc shipping and it will take about 4 hours to fit so hopefully it will be fitted in the next few days . Sounds straightforward and the above is ............
But it took over a year to find one and I only got this because people knew I wanted one.

For example I needed a dashboard without holes splits or bubbles as most are damaged in some way
But it took over a year to find one and I only got this because people knew I wanted one.

That is great the way that they all looked out for you there sleeper, and just to make sure that the project kept moving for you! :cool:

Ok started on the dash replacement

It isnt so much difficult as extremely time consuming. There are sooooo many screws and bolts. Must be well over 30 to get the dash out.
Then there is the wiring which needs to be labelled . this isnt because of what connects to what as all the connectors are different but which bit of the loom goes though which gap in the dash.
Id been warned to about this as once the dash is bolted back the loom pieces have to stay where they are.

anyway
New mint dash

073.jpg

dash out (sorry for bad pic)

086.jpg

took about a morning to get out (including tea breaks)
So far the dash is back but not tightened up (just in case) and all the electrics are connected up .
im back tomorrow and will connect the battery up and check it all works before bolting all the bits back.
Hopefully all will be fine and can start on the next bit..............

Last edited: