316i E36 Performance tuning

Thomasdt

Car
BMW 316i E36
hi guys!
an little introduction: i am Thomas from Holland, i own a BMW 316i E36 from '95, and i want to get some more power out of it. i already installed a power airfilter from a local car shop, but it does'nt seem to help that much...
is k&n 57i a better option?
and do you guys have any advise on what next step to take, like chipping, turbo/intercooler, stuff like that?

thx already!!:bigsmile:

Hello and welcome to the nuthouse mate ;)

to be honest your not going to see much from a 1.6 without some serious cash. best bang for buck would be to get a new engine

hi guys!
an little introduction: i am Thomas from Holland, i own a BMW 316i E36 from '95, and i want to get some more power out of it. i already installed a power airfilter from a local car shop, but it does'nt seem to help that much...
is k&n 57i a better option?
and do you guys have any advise on what next step to take, like chipping, turbo/intercooler, stuff like that?

thx already!!:bigsmile:

Hi mate, nice to see another BMW owner!

The cold hard truth is the 316 (M40 I believe) will not see much power. If you want to uprate the power for not much money then I suggest you do an M42 (1.8) /M44 (1.9) conversion. Both engines have 140bhp.

Do not bother with a 57i induction kit. It is a waste of money. The best induction kit for your car is the factory BMW one. The only way to improve the design is with a panel filter.

Have you got a coupe, compact or saloon?

Last edited:
what do you mean with the word conversion? just put a different engine in?
i'm puzzeled; at the k&n site they claim a serious power growth, an i did notice the E20,- locar power filter did something, may be it not much. you'd think a big filter from a A-brand with an A-price:'( would do a lot more

and i've got a saloon;)

what do you mean with the word conversion? just put a different engine in?

Exactly that mate.

i'm puzzeled; at the k&n site they claim a serious power growth, an i did notice the E20,- locar power filter did something, may be it not much. you'd think a big filter from a A-brand with an A-price:'( would do a lot more

and i've got a saloon;)

They claim that so you will buy one. They are a rubbish piece of kit though. If you install one you will suffer from what's called 'heat soak'. This is where the induction kit sucks in warm air from the engine. This also means a loss in power. This is all because the 57i kit does not use a heat shield.

A proper induction kit needs to be enclosed or use a heat shield to be effective. It also needs to be located where it can get cold air. BMW's design is actually rather good for this. This is why for your engine you will not see much gain (if any).

The most cost effective way to get more power is to do the swap suggested above. The engines cost around £250 here in the UK and you will need the engine itself, ECU, loom and all the wiring. I think the gear box is the same already.

If you do choose this route though, you will also need to upgrade the brakes as well. As in the rears need to be converted from drums to discs and front brakes also need swapping out for a slightly bigger setup.

Now, the saloon is actually supposed to be the most rigid in terms of the body so you could set the suspension up really well. Remember that a car is more fun on a winding, twisty road than in a straight line. So if you are wanting suspension advice then feel free.

Exactly that mate.

They claim that so you will buy one. They are a rubbish piece of kit though. If you install one you will suffer from what's called 'heat soak'. This is where the induction kit sucks in warm air from the engine. This also means a loss in power. This is all because the 57i kit does not use a heat shield.

A proper induction kit needs to be enclosed or use a heat shield to be effective. It also needs to be located where it can get cold air. BMW's design is actually rather good for this. This is why for your engine you will not see much gain (if any).

isn't this where you get the hoses for? so you can lead cold air from the grille to the filter? or doesn't that work anyway?

Last edited:
The most cost effective way to get more power is to do the swap suggested above. The engines cost around £250 here in the UK and you will need the engine itself, ECU, loom and all the wiring. I think the gear box is the same already.

where would you get an engine? just at the junkyard?:amazed: and what is a loom? at the translation site i do not get a satisfying answer:confused:

If you do choose this route though, you will also need to upgrade the brakes as well. As in the rears need to be converted from drums to discs and front brakes also need swapping out for a slightly bigger setup.

i believe about 70 percent of the braking power comes on the front of the car, and 30 at the back. wouldn't it be enough just to enlarge the front disks?(just asking:p might save some money)

and finally, i'm not such a great mechanic:embarrest:, how easy is all this to do, or are there manuals on the internet or something?

thx!:D

isn't this where you get the hoses for? so you can lead cold air from the grille to the filter? or doesn't that work anyway?

It is, however the cold air is routed through the kidney grills on an E36 so a cold air feed isn't actually needed. The standard filter is also enclosed, whilst the 57i kit is not.

A good example for an E36 would be the Simota induction kit seen here, however I don't think it's available for you engine. It is enclosed though, and larger than the standard equipment. This means more cold air and more power.

where would you get an engine? just at the junkyard?:amazed: and what is a loom? at the translation site i do not get a satisfying answer:confused:

Engines can be found in breaker's yard. If you have a version of eBay that might be a good source as well (the German version might be of help if you don't have a Dutch version). The loom is the wiring. Out of interest what translation do you get?

i believe about 70 percent of the braking power comes on the front of the car, and 30 at the back. wouldn't it be enough just to enlarge the front disks?(just asking:p might save some money)

and finally, i'm not such a great mechanic:embarrest:, how easy is all this to do, or are there manuals on the internet or something?

thx!:D

The fronts actually do more than 70%. I think it's more like 80%. You could just do the fronts if funds are that tight. But if you're going to the trouble of putting in a bigger engine then you may as well swap the drums for discs. It's not an overly difficult swap. It just involves swapping over the arms.

You will require some decent tools. An engine crane for starters. If you're not confident enough to do it then find a garage that is willing to do it. I know there must be some in The Netherlands.

I just tried it and it seems to work! I only used the first Dutch work though (weefgetouw). Dare I ask what the others mean?

yes, it works, only on small problem: the translation is not correct. you say the loom is the wiring, in dutch, 'weefgetouw' is an midieval tool to make carpets... i according to google you know it as a weaving loom.
the others:
'vage verschijning' means a unclear appearence, like someone standing in the fog.
'steel van roeiriem' means the handle of an oar
'handvat' means handle or handgrip
'duikvogel' means literally a diving bird, i guess it's meant to be a bird that dives into the water for a fish, or something.

yes, it works, only on small problem: the translation is not correct. you say the loom is the wiring, in dutch, 'weefgetouw' is an midieval tool to make carpets... i according to google you know it as a weaving loom.
the others:
'vage verschijning' means a unclear appearence, like someone standing in the fog.
'steel van roeiriem' means the handle of an oar
'handvat' means handle or handgrip
'duikvogel' means literally a diving bird, i guess it's meant to be a bird that dives into the water for a fish, or something.

Ah right! Well if there are any words you are unsure of just let us know and we'l try and explain. So far your English seems to be pretty good!

I guess 'getouw' is the 'loom' part - because if you think about it, you are doing the same thing with the wires as you would with the threads for weaving (or 'weefing' hehe):D