307 2.0 HDi 110 potential problems?

Matt L

Wrench Pro
Car
307 HDi 110
I have bought the above car today. i noticed while driving that in 1st gear it seems to require alot of throttle to get moving is this normal for one of these? My last diesel was a 206bhp 1.9 16v Astra SRi CDTi and was obviously quite responsive and didn't require hardly any throttle to get moving.

Another problem is going through the gears, it's very sluggish until about 2800 rpm when the turbo literally kicks in, and gives you a big shove in the big. i was lead to believe these were more of a smooth, refined diesel engine, that boosts early? leading me to believe something could be wrong somewhere?

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Matt.

The one I drove had a bit of a dead spot at the lower end of the RPM band but I'm sure it kicked in lower that 2800rpm, the red line is not a lot higher than that so you have got a really narrow power band.

The first thing I'd do is get a diagnostic done and check for any error codes, leaking vacuums and hoses or sticking sensors.

The car is just crying out for a remap though. Is this something you have thought about?

Hi Waynne, from my experience with diesels the power band is very low down the rev range and is like a window in effect. I am owed a remap from G&G Motorsport and have contacted Phil who owns the company to book me in which he is doing. He can also turn off the fap filter and so I can remove that to avoid all the anti pollution crap.

I will have it on his diagnostic machine when it goes for the map so we shall see what it brings up I guess. It may just need a good thrash to clear it out as it has been stood for a while maybe?

Regards,
Matt.

Get some Redex DIESEL cleaner and go for a spirited drive with a tankful of that. This should help clear things up.

I have known some engines go sluggish every now and then when they slip into a "cleaning" cycle.

Get some Redex DIESEL cleaner and go for a spirited drive with a tankful of that. This should help clear things up.

I have known some engines go sluggish every now and then when they slip into a "cleaning" cycle.

BE very careful with redex products on FAP cars.

If I use anything it will be Millers. Still have half a bottle left from this time last year when I had my Astra :)

Miller's DPS4 is fine with DPFs and so is the latest product.

The pre 2006 Millers diesel additive must not be used in cars with DPFs.

Wynns released a cerium based additive which is very good indeed with DPF cars.

Forte's Diesel Treatment is fine with DPFs as well.

Also make sure that the engine oil is of a fully synthetic low suphated ash formulation. Anything else will bugger up the DPF.

AMSOIL DEO 5w/40 is superb. Diesel specific fully synthetic oil. Make sure to top up with exactly the same stuff (if you need to do so, that is).

Check on here for oilman or Opie Oils limited.

There's a discount for Torque Cars members.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back