306 Interior Design Help

J

Jacques.

Hi. I have just brought a 1995 1.9TD 306 and am planning supping it up a bit. I am going to concentrate my efforts on the engine but I want to make sure the car in itself looks half decent as well.

Now I have done my research and have found out where I can acquire most of what I want but I am having trouble finding seats and door panels and this is where I ask your help.

The design of the material used on the seats and on the door panels is pretty hideous and has got to go. So my first question is does anyone know where I can pick up some decent new seats for my car in particular rear seats. I have found plenty of sites that stock bucket seats and what not but I’m more interest in getting something that’s a bit more cushiony and even if I go with racing seats I cant for the life of me find anywhere that sells rears seats. I was considering going down the breakers yard but I would like to get new ones if possible. So if anyone has any sites (UK sites preferably) that I can acquire these from then that would be great.

Now for my second question, the door panels. Well I was simply going to remove the material in the centre of the door panel and replace it with something more stylish but after removing the door panels it seem this isn’t an option. The material is glued to the PVC covering the rest of the door panel and the PVC is stapled and glued to the wood behind it. I have taken all the staples out but as soon as I peel the PVC away it rips at the wood and I can see me never being able to get it back on once it is off. So does anyone have any advice on how to remove this bit of material or where I can pick up some new ones. I would prefer if it could be done with the standard ones as the door panels I have found are getting on £250 and that’s only for the front ones so im still left with the back panels to sort out plus that’s £250 that I could be putting somewhere else.

Also if anyone has any other tips for modifying the car in anyways then it is appreciated.

Well it’s a bit of a read and I appreciate the help. Also im new to modifying, this is my first car I have even bothered to change anything on so sorry if there is a simple answer to this.

Thanks in advance.

right, i'll give you a tenner if you can find new rear seats on a website :D

this is how i personally would go about your problem: remove the rears seats, and front seats and door cards. replace or add any more cushioning to the seats but dont go too crazy.

buy material (such as faux leather) and re trim the front and rear seats, (this can be done by yourself if you enjoy it or pay to have it done) then visit the local wreckers to pick up door cards and retrim those also. while the seats are out you can valet the carpet and then replace the seats

now the seats and door cards all match and you have the freedom to be as creative as you like.

you can buy bucket or sports seats for about 200 quid for a pair but you won't be able to get rear seats you would have to do the afformentioned.

with the door cards rip off the wood and material (do not break the plastic!) and re-cover over the original material and use a glue gun to re attach this to the card.

hope that helped (probably didnt!) :)

Recovering the seats is probably the best option. Most fabric shops now sell leather or faux leather and you can take the seats out one at a time and stich on the new covers. There are some firms that retrim seats so if you didn't fancy doing it yourself you can pay someone else to do it.

Another option would be the local scrappy - look for a GTi interior. The GTi seats are quite nice and you will get a full set including rear seat.

With modification the first thing I would do is uprate the suspension - drop it about 30mm and enjoy the much better handling characteristics. A remap of the TD engine can also yield good results but I think most places only cater for the 1996 onwards engines. HDI fun will probably know the answer to this one. (If you read his posts you'll see he is a bit of a Diesel fan! :wink: )

I am in going to change my interior but only because it's a little too worn for my liking! I will strip the back seats out and take them to be leathered but i'm sticking with the original P1 style front seats as i find that they hold you in position much better than later model ones....these are also going to be leathered. :)

As for the door cards i'm going to strip them off and see if i can find some better looking ones, maybe from a GTI-6 if they're different that is. :?

it would look smooth if had the door cards leathered aswel.

let me know how much this cost because my interior is covered in fag holes from the previous owner :evil:

I have sent off an enquiry to a leather company which make the covers and door card panels etc then send them to you and you fit them (Or pay someone else to). When i get the response i will let you know the price if you think it's worth the money i'll pass you the details. :)

waynne said:
Another option would be the local scrappy - look for a GTi interior. The GTi seats are quite nice and you will get a full set including rear seat.

My thoughts exactly.

Recovering the seats is probably the best option. Most fabric shops now sell leather or faux leather and you can take the seats out one at a time and stich on the new covers. There are some firms that retrim seats so if you didn't fancy doing it yourself you can pay someone else to do it.

With modification the first thing I would do is uprate the suspension - drop it about 30mm and enjoy the much better handling characteristics. A remap of the TD engine can also yield good results but I think most places only cater for the 1996 onwards engines. HDI fun will probably know the answer to this one. (If you read his posts you'll see he is a bit of a Diesel fan! :wink: )

no remaps on these engines dude :) but I can give you a guide on how to tune it up though