300zxtt wheels

JMGrossberg

Car
1994 300zxtt
Hi All:

I just signed up hoping to get some valuable info on my Nissan 300zxtt. Tires are getting impossible to find for the stock rear (245/45/16) and I can go to 245/50/16, but there is no diversity. I may have to go to a different wheel size but the car has the HICAS steering system and need to know if that is a problem. Stillen reccomended 18 inch rims but I would prefer 17 inch. My other prerequisite is that the replacement rims weigh no more than the original stock rims. Any suggestions!

Greetings and Welcome to TorqueCars My Friend! :)

Sorry unable to help you on this one but someone will be along in a while to assist you with this I'm sure. ;)

Have you tried the Nankang NS2 tyres? You can get them rather cheap and in most sizes, I know they do the size you require. So I would say shop around online for some, if you do buy online I am sure some places will fit them for you, as I have brought tires and just taken them in to be fit on to the car. Normally the back street garages will put them on for you as main stream like kwik-fit will have a hissy fit at you if you ask such things of them, or if you prefer to go through high street stores ask if they can get them in, most can or ask for anything alike them.
The handing with the Nankang NS2 has always been high rated, and they just feel over all good on the road.
Er, along side Nankang NS2, I would say try getting some... Toyo or Nexen's. If you are looking online then they shouldn't be hard to find.
If your car can go upto 18" then you will have a lot better luck finding some that will fit. They have more stock of 18" in general. If you can't go up that high, then don't lose hope.
Sorry for the long reply, I like to tue up all my loose ends.

Do you often take the car over 150mph? The Z is for speeds over 150mph and the R is for Radial. Unless you intend on going over this speed then you should have no trouble finding a tyre with a lower speed rating. I wish you luck in your continued search anyway ;)

No car has to have ultra high perfomance tires on them, but that is the DNA of this car. It came stock out of the dealers showroom with ZR rated tires. It would be like putting R rated tires on a corvette Z06. You can do it but why would you? It's not that I drive over 150mph; which I have once in this car, and believe me the car will work with R rated tires, if I want to pretend I am driving my wife's SUV. It certainly will go from A to B with ordinary street tires, but again this is not an ordinary car in any way.

Last edited:
The z rating is as much to do with tortional forces as it is at handling torque. Top speed has little to do with it.

Why fid you want to stick with 17s? There are quite a few tyres z rated on 18s and it would pay to go a bit wider as well. See what sizes the tyre shops can offer then choose rims to match.

The z rating is as much to do with tortional forces as it is at handling torque. Top speed has little to do with it.

Interesting! got this from a google search page earlier today:

ZR is the category of speed rating and none of the sites above are quite correct.

VR is for speeds up to 150mph and ZR when introduced was for speeds over 150mph. As car speeds got higher the manufacturers subdivided ZR into three groups: Y, W and the original Z. Read the manufacturer's handbook carefully to determine the recommended speed and load rating.

Is this incorrect then Waynne?

I am trying to keep the car stock looking, but even so, putting 17 inch rims on will change the aqppearance quite a bit. The real reason is weight. The car will take 18 inch rims according to Stillen here in the US that builds most of Nissans racing cars. And, you are right there are a of ZR rated tires in the 18 inch size. I am not sure that those big rims look good to "me" in that size. Another unusual feature of this car is that it has Hicas steering which is an early four wheel steering system that was an option on this car. So changing wheel size takes some study And by the way you are right the 150+ spped rating while important to this car; handling is even more important. This car in racing form one the Le Mans in its class and it sits in Stillens showroom and the engine was built to 1000hp.

Interesting! got this from a google search page earlier today:

ZR is the category of speed rating and none of the sites above are quite correct.

VR is for speeds up to 150mph and ZR when introduced was for speeds over 150mph. As car speeds got higher the manufacturers subdivided ZR into three groups: Y, W and the original Z. Read the manufacturer's handbook carefully to determine the recommended speed and load rating.

Is this incorrect then Waynne?

The Letters are officially related to the max speeds but this causes the misconception that if you go slower you'll be alright on lower spec tyres.

Put low speed rated tyres on a Veryron and stick your foot down, I bet the whole tyre eventually just flies apart under the stress of the torque.

if your're changing the aspect ratio on the back tyres you will also need to do it on the front. i.e increasing to 245/50r16. = 651mm diameter. (originals were 627mm diameter). fronts 225/50r16 which = 631mm diameter. so fronts would need to be 225/55r16. costing you 4 tyres instead of two.

what about trying 255/45r16 (diameter 636mm more readily available in the US?)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back