300ZX tips?

chains

Car
300z n/a (project)
The New Guy: hey. im new here, and (sadly enough) im also new to tuning, and cars in general. anyways,

The Car: i just bought a 1993 300zx n/a. (paid $2200 for it, and now im figuring out why) i've been a fan of these beauties for quite a while, and now that i have one, i want to start getting it back in shape. it has 160,000 on it, and the only mods (on it when i bought it) are cold-air, and a short throw shifter.

The Problem: i just bought her, as i said, and i knew the stock wiring harness was toast, so i bought a new one. i had the exhaust re-welded (pinholes everywhere), and the other day the ECU when out, so im working on getting that changed out. so far, i know that i need new seals on just about everything, new bushings, and something (dont know what yet) is knocking (hope its not a piston)

i saw this forum, and signed up immidiatly after reading a few articles.
any help/advice/tips/stories/anything else is very welcome!

thanks.
-chains

Hello there and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. Get a compression test done and see what the general engine condition is like. I would recommend a complete engine strip down and rebuild.

You should be able to rebore the block (if it passes a stress test) by up to 1mm. (Is yours the SR20DETT lump? Us specs might be different)

The engines can cope with a pretty big power gain, uprating the turbo and getting a better engine map.

The head will benefit from gas flowing and porting as well.

Get a new water/oil pump fitted its not worth taking chances on the old ones. I hope this helps for starters.

As the others have said welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask anything. If yours is an NA then you will most likely have a VG30DE.

You can also check out the site below. It is devoted completely to the Z31 and Z32(yours) They may not give you suggestions on what needs done but there is alot of info on how to do almost everything concerning the cars.

One bit of advise. make sure you do a search of any possible phrasing of your question. they can be a bit short with ya when they have already answered the question. can't really blame them when 200+ people are asking the same thing.

This site (TorqueCars) is great for getting suggestions on what you should check, also alot more friendly people here as well.

ALso, learn from my mistakes. If you do like wayne said and get a new water pump might as well swap the timing belt at the same time. Don't want to go into that cramped portion anymore than you need to. That or have a shop do it but they will most likely wanna pull/drop your engine since its so tight.

Other than that, glad to hear another one was saved from the scrap heap. Gotta get around to replacing mine now. lol.

http://www.300zxclub.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, thanks. im deploying soon, and wont be able to do anything with it for a year, so all be doing everything when i get back

yeah you must keep us updates. one of the good things to do is take it to a mechanic and get a total inspection done on her. that way you will know what you need to save up for while deployed. where abouts are you located. might be able to find a shop that knows a thing or two about them for it to go to.

the car's in Goldbar, WA. thats where its going to be while im in afganistan. when i get back, though its going to be in the lakewood/ tacoma area.

kk. will check aroudn for ya and see if i can find a reliable shop for ya in your area. would you rather have a shop where it is now or where it will be? as stated earlier getting it checked before hand will give you an idea of what needs purchased and how much it will cost.

where it is woult be preferable, but a good shop is worth a few miles.

The New Guy: hey. im new here, and (sadly enough) im also new to tuning, and cars in general. anyways,

The Car: i just bought a 1993 300zx n/a. (paid $2200 for it, and now im figuring out why) i've been a fan of these beauties for quite a while, and now that i have one, i want to start getting it back in shape. it has 160,000 on it, and the only mods (on it when i bought it) are cold-air, and a short throw shifter.

The Problem: i just bought her, as i said, and i knew the stock wiring harness was toast, so i bought a new one. i had the exhaust re-welded (pinholes everywhere), and the other day the ECU when out, so im working on getting that changed out. so far, i know that i need new seals on just about everything, new bushings, and something (dont know what yet) is knocking (hope its not a piston)

i saw this forum, and signed up immidiatly after reading a few articles.
any help/advice/tips/stories/anything else is very welcome!

thanks.
-chains
90’ N/A Fairlady jacked for ten years I bought from my father last month. I am in need of a shelter/garage to work on it what is there a best and best value? I also would like to know what to look for once I pull the engine, rebuild kit? I’m does anyone have a working HICAS system?