3000gt(gonna be a new owner) but got some big ideas for this baby need help

L

Lavar

The car you read in the title is a car a 3000 gt sl fwd being sold for the low 1500$ with 170000 miles I'm currently looking at buying from a man I know. I want to turn this into my project car I'm looking to take this basic completely stock 212 hp (don't quote me) and amp it up to 400hp for a starer. My car tech skills are growing although it's very limited for now which is why this will be more of a learning process for me then anything. I know I want to get the car ready for forced induction aka I want a turbocharger but my few tech things I do know is throwing it in the default car I'm just asking to break something. So can someone please point me in the right direction I'm 17 not in a complete rush to get this project done and oh ya I have 2 fully equipped mechanic shops at my disposal free of charge lucky me right? So my basic questions is what should I start upgrading to get this car turbo ready or at least being a mini beast for the time being. Or is it not worth the time to take a car without a turbo and transfer it. And hold of this dream till I find a vr4.

There is a twin turbo version of the 3000GT and an engine swap with wiring loom would be easier than doing a turbo conversion yourself.

I love the sound of this project though. First off you'd need to lower the compression ratio, alter the fuelling and timing and then fit the turbo, so it's quite involved.

Personally I'd work on improving the handling (braking /suspension) then think about engine upgrades. Make a decision early on, a swap or turbo conversion and stick to it and you'll need to plan carefully.

If as you say you have 2 mechanics shops at your disposal why don't you bounce your ideas off them first.?

A drop in turbo motor transplant along with all the sensors,computer and wiring harness would be best IMHO

Most important is a brake upgrade as a fast car needs to be able to stop fast as well.

Oh yes nearly forgot .V( :oops: welcome and good luck with your car and keep us posted on your progress

A already said you will be better off with either a turbo motor or better still just get a turbo car . it will likely be cheaper as the brakes etc will be already done.