$3000 - How can I boost performance on my 206?

snow

Car
peugeot 206
Hey all,

Got $3000 to improve performance on my 1.6L 206, what should I be looking at? Already have a sports exhaust and K&N air filter. Better handling would be nice if I'm pretty limited with BHP.

I love cruising through windy hills, and the car really doesn't love taking corners as much as I think it has potential too.

I was watching an episode of fifth gear yesterday, and they put nos in a Golf Polo, the results were incredible. Now I'm not one of those goofs thats been watching too much Fast and the Furious, but I'd like to know whats the reality of NOS in this car? Is this a good bang for buck option? I'm assuming my insurance company would tell me to go to hell if this was installed, or ask more per year then the car is worth, as I'm in my lower 20's =[.

This is my first car project. I'm reading up as much as I can on tuning/performance, I love cars but don't know as much as I need to in order to start making further adjustments to my 206. Speak in lamens terms to me so I can do some research into it haha. I appreciate the help guys and looking to learn a lot through here.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
I think I would be inclined to have a look at getting the engine remapped and to fit some coilovers all round with a full geometry setup to make sure the cambers etc are right for your car. Hopefully you will even see some change from your $3k.

I would leave the NOS alone for now! besides which, a simple phone call to your insurance company will not cost you anything and it will also remove the guess work with regards to the quotation! If you are greeted by huge amounts of laughter down the phone after you have asked the question, it might be best to just hang up the phone there and then and walk away :)

Thanks guys. Not really sure on rules on changing the engine, guess I'd have to do some research.

Again am I best just opting for new suspension/rollbar as I have no chance in boosting performance?

yes if you cant change the engine then go for handling. remember tyres are important as well.

you could always go down the route of ITBs but i dont know how mcuh a gain you would see and how reliable the engine is

Decided I'll just go suspension/sway bar/performance tyres and potentially get a tune or do some research and see what ECU's people are suggesting.

Wouldn't sell and buy a GTI, smart idea but yeah just kinda happy with it as is :).

snow: buy a GTI 180 engine, failing that, buy ast sportline I coilovers for $1970 and camber plates for $708, you can buy them from raventech racing down by ur way, i use them on my Gti 180 and they are fantastic,

YUGGUY: a 206 GTI 180 in australia is around 15K if ur wanting a clean one, 12K will get u ino the high kms and looking abit abused, so they arnt dirt cheep as such here, considering the 5 plus years old age

cheers ipu99. yeah i don't want the insurance of a gti either, i'm already paying through the nose relative to how much i earn haha.

i'll look into the coilovers, it's good having an aussie for advice, cheers!

Hey mate,
From Sydney here, and looking at doing some mods to my recently purchased GTI180 (mainly handling as it's already quick). Let me know the experiences you have with any suspension/handling upgrades; tyres etc.
Best of luck with your mods :)

Hey man im going to be buying my 206 GTI asap so if you have found anything that works well let me know :D

Put in a few extra grand and get a GTI180. All I've done with mine is new tires so far. Probably getting a carbon barrel intake soon. I suggest getting a good set of tires before anything else.

as has been mentioned if your adamant with sticking with the engine you have then get the handling sorted and look at maybe uprating the brakes.
you could look into converting the car to run a low boost turbo conversion iv not done much research on this engine but most cars that run de comp plates and a low boost turbo set up (7psi is normally the max) seem safe at this level. id be inclined to use a t25 turbo
if you dont like that idea then getting more bhp/torque from a n/a engine is a very expensive road trust me i learnt the hard way :( but you could have it remapped to compliment the couple of breathing mods you have done