3 speeding tickets on one stretch of road

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was wondering, if you went round the M25 at say 90mph it is entirely feasable that you will get 3 speeding tickets within the same mile stretch.

Now the question is will these be combined into one long speeding offence or treated as 3 separate incidents?

Surely if you maintained a constand 90mph and were followed by a police car you would only end up with 1 endorsement over the same distance?

Has this actually happened to anyone on here or anyone you know?

My understanding is that they are seperate incidents.

I seem to remember a case (although it was in the Daily Mail, which is a pretty shoddy newspaper) where such an incident had happened, someone had sped across a bridge with multiple cameras and had multiple punishments.

mate got caught 4 times in the space of 2 mins, court accepted it as 1 offence but came down harder on him 4 points rather than 3 and cant remember what the fine was.

hes still not learned those 4 come off in may, if he gets caught again it bye bye time for license as has 10 points now

agree with WLB, but probably depends on the court and if you are in the same area. Going to court would give you a better chance of trying to get it reduced to one offence, imo, but would suspect if you were caught in different counties/enforcement areas then you may end up with multiple offences.
Used to be stories that driving down the A1 you could get banned 4 times if you kept speeding due to the number of cameras although dont know if any truth in this.
Best way is, if you dont want to get caught, no need to slow down, get number plates like James Bond!

There are cameras all up the m20 and around the M25 so it would be quite easy to be banned multiple times over on one journey.

Did you hear about this Mid-Eastern European who moved to UK and was married to 6 women ( talk about polygamy! ;) I have difficulty keeping one happy...) and was arrested after 16 counts of speeding within a month and his license was taken away from him and he was facing a prison sentence...?

His defense in court was that, since he has 6 wives in 6 different locations in the city, he had to take two lunch breaks and had to come to work an hour early and stay an hour late to finish work.

He was, as alleged by him in his defense, visiting two of his wives during the breaks, two before and after work, and would spend the night with one of them, in rotation during the week.

He pleaded clemency on sympathetic grounds, as in his opinion the government should consider his efforts to keep his spouses content, along with fulfilling his duties at work.

He got a suspended sentence, and was allowed to drive conditionally, provided he used the privilege only to commute from his various homes and work.

Believe It Or Not!

Anyways to the speeding issue:

Hypothetical Scenario No. 1.

You are speeding down a stretch of road, and you are caught on numerous cameras, slowing down for traffic and speeding up again. BUT, you are not stopped by any trooper.

Soon you get the summons to appear in court for each and every picture taken by the cameras in different locations.

You appear in court, and the magistrate is about to throw the book at you, for multiple offense.

Your Defense:

A family emergency, the gravity of which should be directly proportion to the number of clicks you were above the speed limit, and then some. And since no official informed you about your offense, while you were committing it, you can claim ignorance and oversight, by virtue of per-occupation of your mind, by virtue of anxiety of the situation at home.

In fact you slowing down for traffic would aid you, ‘coz that displays an instinct of self preservation, and your moral instinct, not to jeopardize the lives of innocent drivers and pedestrians, even when you were experiencing the mental trauma of the emergency, thus portraying you as somewhat of a hero.

You may just be able to get away with one offense (the key-word here is “MAY”, and depends how convincing you are to the presiding judiciary).

Hypothetical Scenario No. 2.

So there you are, merrily testing out the new remap of the ECU, clipping 90 in a 50 zone. This trooper, who has nothing better to do than to hand out tickets to innocent speedsters, pulls you over and hands you a ticket and shaves point off your license.

So while this up-tight individual is walking back to the cruiser, you decide to show the authorities that your set of wheels are the faster than anything they got on the force, and burn rubber, not much, just a little bit, and take off again to reach the speed you were at, before being so rudely accosted.

What you are not aware of, & don’t expect is the fact that this trooper, instead of trying to catch you again, radios ahead to his buddy, of you eminent approach.

Now when you do not see headlights in the rear-view mirror, and are just beginning to smile about how you got the better of the sod behind you, you see, not 500 mtrs. later, in the beams of your headlight something sharp, shiny spread across your path and a spotlight shining in your direction and a uniformed figure crouching behind a car, pointing a gun at you.

You don’t wanna get shot, since you have your in-laws waiting for dinner at your place, and it just would not be appropriate if you pulled up in an ambulance with a drip and an oxygen mask, instead of showing up in your buggy with the low profile radials you just installed today, to show off to “Dad”.

And that spike strip is not gonna let you save anything of your latest investment on your ride.

So, you slow down and stop and curse under your breath, as more points are shaved off.

By now you are really miffed, as the license is handed back, and you wanna make up for the lost time, as you at least wanna escape the wrath of your better half, for arriving late, just on the weekend her parents decided to award you the benefit of their presence.

So off you go, on your merry way, clipping as usual, and just as you are about to slow down and turn into the lane reaching up to your manor, the **#**^%&* camera you forgot about, since you had a load on your mind, clicks a beautiful shot of you doing 80 in a 40 zone.

In this case you are up the proverbial creek, sans the proverbial paddle, as these are 3 offenses, the only way, you can get away with it is if the magistrate is the father-in-law you were rushing home to meet, and if he maintained an extremely for giving disposition.

Enough said.
And m sure, you gonna limit the number of characters for me, or just plain simply ban me…… ;( ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well, what can I say……….. :D

Picasso

Last edited:
There is something called the totting up procedure. It's an unofficial term used for drivers who are summoned to UK Court (specifically in England and Wales, Scotland has slightly different laws) for commiting multiple but similar speeding offences on the same day, and I imagine for it to be considered favourably in court, on proximate stretches of road.

The general gist is that you'll pay all the fines but the points will only be applied according to the single most serious offence. You might well wind up with several hundred quids' worth of court costs being applied but you'll probably keep your license.

picassoonwheels - very funny, gave me a good laugh first thing this morning.

HDi - didnt know that, very interesting as have a horrible suspicion that may have been done twice on the A9 within a couple of hours two weeks ago. Seems the police were out in force "bolting the gate after the horse has gone".

@ dpsubaru... glad to spread cheer, chief.... :D
And Hey I cannot take credit for your byline, 'coz i never said that! ;)

@ HDi true dat, mate, but since it is unofficial, it is not imperative that the court would practice that, as it is the court's prerogative. Thus, what I was attempting to depict was the worst case scenario, within the confines of the law, with some humor thrown in. No offense intended.

Cheers

Picasso

Well Waynme, while we still on the topic of speeding fines, lemme narrate an incident that occurred in 1991 in Montreal, Canada, again, where I managed to be awarded multiple tickets amounting to $485. Canadienne.

I was working in a Mikes Submarine outlet, which was the hangout for the local station of Surete La Quebec, Ville de Montreal, making deliveries, as well as working in the Kitchen.

Now this is a 30 minute or free delivery chain.
So one day in an effort to deliver food to as many customers as possible during, during the “supper rush”, without having to pay for the food meself, I was zipping in and out of side lanes and main streets, generally going along my merry way.

I take a left turn and not 10mtrs. ahead I see a uniformed officer, walking backwards onto the street between parked cars, while saying his goodbyes to the family he had just dined with.

To avoid hitting him, I honk as I pass, see him jump out of his boots, and stop 4 houses down, and rush out to make my delivery in time.

Walking out of the building, I am mentally summing up my day’s take of tips and deducting the gas (petrol) money, and trying to predict what I would walk away with at the end of the day.

I look up and see meself staring down the barrels of 8-9 handguns and shotguns, with flashing lights in the back-ground.

You bet me pants got wet.

Anyways, cutting it short, this copper I had saved the life of, was a rookie, dining with his girlfriends parents, impressing them with his uniform. He was embarrassed to be startled in their presence, and so proceeded to call for back-up.

Those who came to back him up knew me since I served them daily, so they holstered their weapons when the saw me, and even tried to convince the rookie to relax.

But righteous dude wanted to maintain impressions. He proceeded to hand me a $85/- ticket for driving at speeds endangering the life of pedestrians, a $200/- ticket for blowing the horn and disturbing the peace, and a $200/- ticket for failing to stop when directed by a uniformed officer.( God alone knows where they come up with these terms)

I contest the charges, visit court on 4 separate occasions, get the charges dropped, get reimbursed for 32 hrs of wages @t $6.50/hr. 4 days public conveyance fare @ $5/- per day, $ 250/- for mental harassment, with an option to pursue my complaint about racist remarks made and admitted by the rookie, and seek damages.

All in all not a bad deal, give or take, and needless to say, I never pursued the matter further and the rookie came to be a good friend, down the line.

A gambit that paid off……. ;) :D :D.

Picassoonwheels

Last edited:
I remember a frew years agao, there was an article in the Wrexham Leader about a plumber who sped past a speed van (first offence) then got clocked buy a copper (second office) on the way to a job. He then got clocked (by the SAME copper for thrid office). Feeling a bit anoyed by this, (thinking he had been done 2 times in a day) sped past the SAME speed van going the other way for his forth offence. (van had turned around as they only had the one offence that day (from him!!!). Guy got banned as the copper was on a different road from the van (about 10 miles from one another and to keep the same speed through out would be impossible as it was a differnt road).

But was there not something said about the M25, when somone on 6 points got done twice within a few miles. He took 3 points for one of them, and his misses got 3 as he said she was driving for the second office! As he didn't contest it in court and just paid with written confirmation from his misses he got away with it.

ITS NOT ABOUT MAKING THE ROADS SAFE. ITS ABOUT MAKING MONEY at the end of the day. Why do you NEVER see coppers pulling over old women for doing 30 on the motorway, or pull nurvous reck of a driver (you know one of them who drives around town in a brand new car at 20mph, hesitating, stalling, pulling out in front of traffic and then not speeding up.

@ bigbadjoe .....

You are right there.

The reason they do not pull up old women and the grandads is because they would have to first spend 30 minutes screaming, trying to overcome the inadequecies of the hearing aides, to explain the reason, and then sit patiently for another 30 minutes, listening to the arguments of the driver why he/she should not be penalised, and at the end of the day, these people are after all retired, and attending court would be a highlight of their day, having nothing better to do, and then the judge is going to show them leniency and mebbe let them off with a warning.

Not worth the effort!

While the working class cannot spare time for court, and more times than not, would pay the fine, albeit grudgingly, and be done with it.

Its money that makes the wheels turn..... True!

Picasso

I Why do you NEVER see coppers pulling over old women for doing 30 on the motorway, or pull nurvous reck of a driver (you know one of them who drives around town in a brand new car at 20mph, hesitating, stalling, pulling out in front of traffic and then not speeding up.

happened here a few years ago mate. old guy was sitting at 20 on a busy single carriageway A75 - this is also an accident blackspot.
old guy admitted it was stupid thing to do and handed over his license.

picassoonwheels was going to comment on your friend / rookie copper but i think i may have ended up with a warning for my views :cheesy:

I got to this question to ask about why do i get 2 offences for speeding within a 2 mile road....

YES! per camera is per offence!

I haven't got an answer for my question but now certainly can answer this one?

Driving on the A21 towards Tonbridge at about 85mph-90mph summer 2007 and then a flash by them big yellow boxes, Speed cameras. So as i thought i'm getting of next junction i'm not slowing down and as I'm coming towards the junction I get another flash...2 stone 1 bird right? day light robbers!

Any way 2 weeks later i receive a penalty letter saying i should pay the fine within 14 days and take my licence in any police station for the points to be added, 3 days later to my surprise another letter arrives stating i have been speeding on the same road, same day, only few mins apart at different speeds. at first I thought they are suggesting to the first offence but after reading both letters together I have been fined twice and total 6 points (3 each) £100 & £250 = £350. I have been driving through that dual carriage way for over 4 years and seen them cameras before and also driving at about same speed but this time i got eaten...

So, YES you do get separate offences :sad2:

Greetings mosstin and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!
Good to have you along with us :)

I am at a loss as to what to say, I am sure somebody will be along in a little while with an appropriate response.

Ouch!! There is one perfect way though to avoid being caught, fined and pointed. It is 100% legal too.

Don't exceed the limit.

Yes, I do at times on quiet de-restricted roads but if I get a FPN it's only me to blame.

I do think though, that ticket per camera when they're closely bunched together seems a little excessive.