206 GTi fault

welldweller

Car
Volvo C70 2.3 T5 GT
My son's car won't start. Been lying up for several months and the battery died completely in that time. Having charged the battery back up he has tried to start it and all he is getting is twelve or so clicks coming from under the bonnet and a fault code number on the dashboard (can't remember what number is says but can find out). Any ideas?

Hi matey. The battery is holding a charge. But the engine wont turn over.
All the lights and other electrical stuff works fine. Its just that as soon as you turn the key and the lights come on the dashboard the clicking starts. Then when you turn the key a bit further to the start position, there's nothing.

sounds like the starter motor is dead, if all the lights are working and the radio etc. And you said that the battery is holding a charge.....its the starter motor for my money

Put headlights on and try to start, if they dim then power is going to the starter motor. Give it a belt with a lump hammer, it could be stuck in engaged.

I'm guessing they still use the same system, a sliding gear that meshes with the engine gear when ignition is on, then gets thrown off when the car starts?