206 GTi Brake Upgrade

RacingNoel

Car
206 GTi Race car
Hi All. Building a race car for a race series here in Dubai as part of story on 'racing on a budget' for MotoringMiddleEast.com
I've seen that you can use 406 brakes as a bolt on upgrade, but some people are suggesting the discs don't fit. Does anyone have any advice on this, as it would be a cheap option for this project and I have a well stocked Peugeot breakers nearby I can source from. Thanks in advance.

It depends on the clearance around the alloy wheel and model years vary slightly, here is some useful info posted up by @jarrus a while back.

The 406 coupe Brembos will fit but only when used in conjunction with Xantia V6 discs, they will also work with GTi6 discs but they will squeal very loudly so I do not recommend them.

306 gti6 brakes will fit as will Xsara VTS ones (they are the same) they have 283mm discs. Probably your cheapest option as they can be had second hand for very little money.

206 GTi 180 brakes will also fit. They have the same size disc as the GTi6 brakes but they use a slightly larger pad with a smaller piston in the caliper.
307 HDi 136 brakes are a nice option as I believe them to be 302 mm discs and will also fit.

Also an upgrade to the master cylinder would be prudent. GTi6 master cylinder is a good upgrade.

Thanks for the advice and apologies for the slow reply (I was on holiday). When you say the GTi-6 brake discs will squeal, would this just be at slow speeds? As it is a race car this is not a major issue to me, as a lot of race cars squeal as people tend to remove the anti-squeal plates. Also, is all this a simple swap with the standard 206 GTi parts or is any modification required?

Also I am running the standard 15 inch 206 Gti rims.