206 GTi 180 - tapping / knocking issues

akione

Car
206 GTi 180
Hi all,

Newbie to the forum, had my pug for about 10 months now, great car, but having some issues. Can anyone help?

I noticed an oil leak around my rocker cover and had the rocker cover gasket replaced. After that noticed another leak around the head (not the head gasket) but somewhere below the rocker cover, so had to get that fixed. On doing so the garage advised that part of the camshaft needed to come out to get to the seals/gaskets below, so the cambelt and water pump were coming off. Since that was the case I got them to fit a new cambelt and water pump as it needed doing.

Got the car back, noticed a constant tapping / knocking sound as soon as tick the engine over and it stays, sounds tappety or diesely, which the car shouldn't, it used to purr. No engine pull below 4000rpm either.

Took it back to the garage, they took apart the head, re-replaced the cambelt kit, waterpump, waterpump backhousing, took apart the inlet manifold, cleaned and replaced the gaskets. Redone all the timing meticulously and it still sounds the same with no pull. It sounds painfull. Took it for a 2hour cruise doing 50mph on 'A road' to get it to run in, but no change.

According to the garage the tappets look fine, and although hydrolic, are non-adjustable because they're 'self-adjusting'

Anyone else had the same issue, or any idea's what it might be??

I'm at a loss.

Cheers for any help....

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction for the knowledge that you seek!

Good luck buddy! :)

Hi Yugguy,

That's what I was told by the mechanic. I don't believe they removed all of it, but I know the 180 has a second Cam lobe, similar to a VTEC system so it may have been just one section/lobe(?), not sure. But according to them anything they fettled with got checked and rechecked. It's been put back together twice now....

I
Hi all,

Newbie to the forum, had my pug for about 10 months now, great car, but having some issues. Can anyone help?

I noticed an oil leak around my rocker cover and had the rocker cover gasket replaced. After that noticed another leak around the head (not the head gasket) but somewhere below the rocker cover, so had to get that fixed. On doing so the garage advised that part of the camshaft needed to come out to get to the seals/gaskets below, so the cambelt and water pump were coming off. Since that was the case I got them to fit a new cambelt and water pump as it needed doing.

Got the car back, noticed a constant tapping / knocking sound as soon as tick the engine over and it stays, sounds tappety or diesely, which the car shouldn't, it used to purr. No engine pull below 4000rpm either.

Took it back to the garage, they took apart the head, re-replaced the cambelt kit, waterpump, waterpump backhousing, took apart the inlet manifold, cleaned and replaced the gaskets. Redone all the timing meticulously and it still sounds the same with no pull. It sounds painfull. Took it for a 2hour cruise doing 50mph on 'A road' to get it to run in, but no change.

According to the garage the tappets look fine, and although hydrolic, are non-adjustable because they're 'self-adjusting'

Anyone else had the same issue, or any idea's what it might be??

I'm at a loss.

Cheers for any help....
I don't know if you are still around or still have the 206. But your story reminded me of something that happened with a Toyota LandCruiser many years ago at a workshop where I worked.

We did EVERYTHING on that engine, except the injectors because the owner had just cleaned them at a reputable company (taken off the engine). There was a tapping sound that drove the owner crazy. Anyhow, by chance we found out from one of our suppliers that that company had recently discovered that one of their workers was slacking on the job, and many injectors that had come in were sent out with nothing more than a 'clean'.

Sure enough, the owner went there, the company cleaned the injectors as they should have been done and that noise disappeared (I was there from the first moment so we were kinda jumping in joy when it worked!).

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back