205 Engine conversion

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Moved this thread here for a more expert opinion.

-------
Hi guys and gals!
I'm in bit of a pickle regarding my turbo conversion. I have fitted a 2.0 turbo from a 406 sri and have now being told that I need to fit a catalyst to the car or I'll blow the turbo seals! Is this correct? Can anyone help me?

waynne
Site Admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need a bit more information what engine year and model have you fitted the turbo too? Was the engine fitted with low compression pistons etc...

I don't see how fitting a catalyst will help but there may be some wierd quirk of the engine set up. Have you run the engine with the turbo? has the ECU been reprogrammed?

payne3400
Grease Monkey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The engine is a standard unit with standard ecu and loom from a 1999 406 2.0 sri turbo. Still in process of plumbing it in to my 205, then heard this about the cat.

Sounds like a great project 8) . I guess that as the 406 Sri had a cat fitted as standard and uses a closed loop system. Are you using the 406 ECU and wiring loom?

re engine conversion

That is rubbish.

The turbo will only be restricted if a cat is put on the exhaust so how that will blow the turbo i won't know.

As for a closed loop circuit as long as the lambda sensor i s before the cat and there isn't a second one after the cat it doesn't matter.

Also due to the year of the car yours is emissions exempt so screw the cat off.

If you need any help a very good friend of mine is a 205 specilist, he is running an mI6 in his and soon converting it to throttle bodies. We have just finish together doing a customers cars but two webber 45's on it.

She goes like S*** off a shovel

cheers,

You may require a wide-band lambda for your ECU to run boost.. Other than that I can't see the need for any specific exhaust requirements.

carb setups

A little bit, we had it tuned and running fine., trailered it to a dyno and it didn't want to start.!! I was so P***ed off.!! got back to the workshop to find what the problem.

After two days found out that the standard fuel pump rrecieved an air leak so it was causing air to be bubble into the fuel!!!

We had it running sweet as a nut but the bloke wanted it back so no chance for a dyno. Went to see him about a job fouond the car in pieces and him saying "Someone down the pub said i had to uprate the oil pressure relief valve spring" which hasn't done anything and it's now spent a month in pieces!!!!

So yer you could call it a pain ............No just him !!!!!! :lol: [/quote]

Customers are great eh? Remember they are ALWAYS RIGHT! If they want a turbo and 200 shot of nos fitted to their 1.0 they get it. Then the poor git who gave in and fitted it spends the next year on Warantee claims cos the thing keeps blowing up! :?

steveo said:
lol! it ok putting turbo and stuff on but alot of people forget the bottom end i think? is that why they blow up?

The con rods tend to go AWOL through the block. Not surprising considering the violent changes of direction. I reckon heat is the main killer though - more power = more heat and this tends to kill the gasket and you are also in danger of getting bad engine knock which can wreck an engine on it's own which is a big danger when the compression ratio is increased.

Yeah I'm not sure I would want to go down the turbo route with out low-comp pistons and a decent head gasket designed for low-comp applications..

I've heard of people adding a second head gasket but I'm not sure I'd trust this!

DONT do the twin gasket job!!! it simply is noway near enough as reliable and as good as just getting a proper performance low compression head gasket, my m8 turbo'd his mi16 205 and he did the double gasket rout due to some twat in the local catr parts shop assuring him of how itl be fine, 3 days later s*** hit the fan nd i was asked to assist in taking out an engine that took me alot of man hours to squeeze in espesially wit that god damn turbo!!!