2002 x type 3.0

S

stardawg

Hi All,

proud new owner of a grey 2002 xtype 3.0 v6. just wondering what simple mods I can do to increase performance? seems a new muffler, decent tires, and a chip would be a good start at an affordable price....any good advice....not really intersted in turbos or nitros ect or mods that really don't make much of a difference..Is it worth lowering the suspension a little as well?

thanks in advance

dawg

hey and welcome.
give the car a good serivce
dont bother with the muffler (backbox) as you wont see much, do the whole system - manifold, sports cat, centre pipes and back box.
decent cold air intake to replace the standard airbox.
Not sure what a chip would give you on the 3.0 petrol but it would possible be around 12bhp and similer torque.

lowing the suspension slightly will help with looks and handleing however if you drop it too much them you can run into advese affects

Stardawg, pgarner is correct. The stock exhaust is too restricted for a pair of mufflers to have an effect. Here's what you do: I recently installed a motor in my 2002 X-Type 3.0 auto.

While out (you can do it while in too) a pair of 1999 Ford Taurus 3.0 DOHC exhaust manifolds (flow much better than stock) were bolted on and the stock cats were discarded. After engine was placed in 2 1/4" pipe, each pipe exits with and immediately a stock upstream O2 sensor is inserted in each pipe. Pipes continue and both enter a single late model Dodge truck V-8 cat.

(dual 2" inlets and one 2 1/2" outlet) that is placed under the passenger side floor pan heat shield close to the driveshaft . The single 2 1/2" pipe exits cat. and immediately stock down stream O2 sensors are inserted in-line one after the other. Pipe continues and a glass pack resonator (to send back exhaust impulses) is put in line with pipe before it splits above rear axle, each into a pair of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers (offset-inlet center-out and they are reversible).

Along with a modified airbox w/K&N filter, ported intake plenum, you won't believe the results. Noticeably quick off the line acceleration, reaching cruise and beyond noticeably quicker.

An AWD dyno is needed to remap the ECU for another 20 h.p. gain. You may have 275 h.p. or more motor with this process.

Last edited by a moderator: