2002 e46 330i power loss

picho21

Car
09 Audi A3 2.0TFSI
I've had some issues with my e46 330i, it has lost a considerable amount of power, it's gotten very slow and really doesn't accelerate like it used to. It has also been burnig a considerable amount of oil, approx. 1 L every 5000 km. Is there anyone who has an idea of what could be worng with the car? The car has got 100000 km on it but i dont think this should be an issue, being that i always took it to service to the dealer's shop and i had never had this problem, and it has never overheated.

There can be 4 reasons for oil consumption and lack of power...piston rings, PCV, bad valve seals, the bad O ring of the vanos sucking oil in the intake, its hard to say which one is your problem.

I would start with the PCV valve....normal life span 80 to 100k

Then I would move to the vanos 'O' ring.

Valve seal troubles on an E46 330i are very uncommon.

Piston rings.......if its been serviced tip top I would doubt it....pressure check would find this.

Hope that gives you a few pointers.

Thanks I'll check those things to see if it works, I already checked the piston pressure and its good, it had no problems whatsoever

I've had some issues with my e46 330i, it has lost a considerable amount of power, it's gotten very slow and really doesn't accelerate like it used to. It has also been burnig a considerable amount of oil, approx. 1 L every 5000 km. Is there anyone who has an idea of what could be worng with the car? The car has got 100000 km on it but i dont think this should be an issue, being that i always took it to service to the dealer's shop and i had never had this problem, and it has never overheated.

How long have you had the car?
Does it start and idle okay?

If it has been a sudden power loss it could be a number of things from something partially blocking the intake system (blocked or collapsed filter, collapsed intake tube, ETC not responding to TPS (Electronic Throttle Control and Throttle Position Sensor -if fitted!).
Or not firing on all six cylinders.
To a collapsed catalytic converter blocking the exhaust system (the element inside can become insecure and move within the casing which can partially block exhaust gas flow).

1-litre in 5,000kms is a bit heavy but within BMW specs for oil consumption I believe. Though as mentioned it might be due to Crank Case Ventilation not functioning properly.
The engine sucks all crankcase oil vapour. Though at the rate you say your oil is being consumed/burnt this wouldn't cause a definate power loss that you can feel easily.

I bought the car straight out of the dealer's in 2002, and it starts and idles ok. The loss of power was sudden, it happened form one day to the other.

I bought the car straight out of the dealer's in 2002, and it starts and idles ok. The loss of power was sudden, it happened form one day to the other.

Try dis-connecting the maf-sensor and see if it makes any difference. These sometimes when faulty or dirty can be responsible for loss of power.
Dis-connecting them puts the car into back-up mode and will illuminate an engine DTC or check light but won't cause any harm. Just ensure the plug is kept out of the way of the radiator cooling fan.

I wish my Alpina only used this much oil! The spec for my B3 is usual to use approx 1ltr of oil every 1,000km!, which it does. I even have a proper letter from Alpina stating this is normal and expected.

Agree with Sid447, try the maf sensor.

Pete