2001 206 GTI 138 project

hi everyone me and the wife recently purchased our first joint car together its a 2001 206 gti 138 in moonstone silver, has 107k on the clocks and is a pretty tidy car seeing as its 13 years old

since purchasing a couple of weeks ago i have done the following

new front discs and pads
sportex oval back box
new oe centre section
k&n panel filter
new oil and filter
new plugs
removed and cleaned throttle bodie and refitted

the car is really good to drive it feels well balanced and has a very strong torquey 2.0 16v engine in there, but anyone that knows about this engine knows that it was restricted quite a bit by peugeot themselves mainly by a terrible inlet manifold, crappy exhaust manifold which also rattles like hell (common fault) and a very conservative engine map

so i have already purchased an ecosse full 4-1 exhaust manifold which sees some impressive gains on its own, coupled with a set of uprated engine mounts to eliminate any movement.

onto the inlet side of things i have decided go for the inlet from the 206 gti 180 which is far superior in design but is not a straight fit, to fit ill need the following

180 alternator
306 gti 6 throttle bodie and icv
custom adapter

i understand that just by fitting the inlet the average gains are around 10-15bhp.

i will of course when these items are fitted be getting the car remapped to make the most out of everything and make sure all is safe.

im hoping to get the car on a hub dyno before we carry out these mods to see what we have to work with.

but this weekends plan weather permitting is to give the car a real good detail as its in need of it.

i will get some pics up for you all tomorrow evening

Haha come on t9 get stuck in and get your hands dirty.

Those days are gone buddy, I would need a properly fitted out home garage and maybe early retirement to get me back into the old ways ;)

I use to love getting stuck in but now I have the funds to put my project in the hands of the professionals, I suppose it has made me lazy to a certain degree.

So let me see, you fit the kit at a more sensible hour today while the wife does a Xmas BBQ using that retro kit from Tesco's?
Sounds like a good deal to me ;)

So let me see, you fit the kit at a more sensible hour today while the wife does a Xmas BBQ using that retro kit from Tesco's?
Sounds like a good deal to me ;)

that would of been a cracking idea :) it will be fitted tomorrow as the wife is doing a 12 hr shift today and im off out with the family for dinner

Very nice car[/QUOTE

thanks they aint bad little motors really

Look like a nice car you got there....

Just for the record though, your engine has much more in common with the 206 gti180 than the 306 gti6,
Reason being is the GTI6 has its e gine from a different family of blocks
206 gti and 206 gti180 have "EW" engines and 306 gti6 has a "XU"

Look like a nice car you got there....

Just for the record though, your engine has much more in common with the 206 gti180 than the 306 gti6,
Reason being is the GTI6 has its e gine from a different family of blocks
206 gti and 206 gti180 have "EW" engines and 306 gti6 has a "XU"

hi mate yes i already know this 2 totally different engines, the 180 makes its better power due to the much better inlet/head and cam design much like the vvc system in the old k series engines.
peugeot seem to have deliberately stangled the gti 138 with a really restrictive inlet/tb and conservative head some say it was due to them having the 180 already in the pipeline.

nice little update for you all

iv decided drop the wife off at work this morning so i can have the car all day, so in the next hour i will be fitting the typhoon induction kit shouldnt take too long really

it looks much better was suprising how easy the oe airbox was to remove, the the pipe running to it from the arch was a tad fiddly but nothing a bit of a jiggle and the obligatory cut knuckles didnt sort.

right then now we have the madness that is xmas and new year out the way work can now start taking place on the car.

i have booked it in for its m.o.t on the 26th this month so this weekend i will be fitting brand new rear discs and pads as the ones on the car are well past there best, i will also be draining the brake fluid and replacing with fresh dot 4 fluid and obviously bleeding the system etc.

i have also spoke to my mate at gt motorsport to book my car in with him to fit the supersprint manifold and billet crank pulley on feb 23rd.

bit more of an update for you all i sold the 180 inlet and gti6 throttle bodie as i have other plans in mind further down the line.

anyway onto the plans that are in motion for the coming months

as above the supersprint manifold and billet crank pulley are going on next month, i will be purchasing a billet flywheel from pug1off either this or next month also.
onto the parts that i know most are more interested in power mods :) iv been in contact with charlie at ctm performance who builds some of the best engines and his headwork is second to none, anyway i got a price on one of his fast road heads and was more than happy so im purchasing another gti head and will be sending it down to him.
i also managed to strike a brilliant deal through a member on the 206info forum on a set of cat cams fast road sport profiles which retail at £498 but ill be getting them for £350 so a very nice saving. these cams are perfect for what i want they keep the power band exactly the same but give you a good chunk more of it when coupled with a remap and no other mods sees around 158bhp so i reckon with the mods ill have in place and these cams/remap will defo be around 165bhp

interesting times ahead and you never know the final piece of the jigsaw might happen this year

finally got the billet bottom pulley fitted to the car :) also changed the back discs and pads and did a fluid change, much better now thats for sure.
up next is the mot on the 26th jan then a visit to my mate at gt motorsport on 23rd feb to fit the supersprint manifold and uprated engine/gearbox mounts.

i have also managed to get hold of a de cat for the car and will be fitting a sportex centre section at the same time the manifold is fitted

right then people got quite a few updates for you
smilenew.gif

first of all i have purchased a billet flywheel from pug1off, looking forward to fitting this should work well combined with the crank pulley.

i have purchased a new k&n filter and water sock for my k&n typhoon, the ones on atm are well past there best especially the water sock.

and finally engine wise i have got a pair of cat cams fast road sport profiles that will be fitted in around march time with fingers crossed a fast road spec head from ctm performance, and of course finished off with a remap
smilenew.gif

i forgot to add that iv scrapped the idea of sportex centre section and de cat, im not at all happy with the quality of the sportex back box which is already corroding.

so iv been on to my mates at top gear stockport to make me a full custom manifold back decatted longlife system

its M.O.T time tomorrow for the little 206, i finally had the passenger airbag problem sorted yesterday morning, i honestly dont think there will be a problem with it and fingers crossed should go through no bother

The good wife wife is taking it for 9am in the morning thanks for that.

Iv also just purchased a full set of koni shock absorbers :)

car passed mot yesterday with not even 1 advisory :) very happy with that

thought i would share the latest part to arrive with you all

very nice piece of kit and only weighs 4.4kg much lighter than the original

Exactly what i thought although most importantly i will certainly notice its on there.

Yes they do systems iv only ever seen them on a 106 though not sure if they do them for the 206

so had a bit of a setback with the car, the wife informed me it had starting making some kind of noise sunday morning so when we went out that evening i heard it for myself and narrowed it down to 1 of 2 things.
i got onto my mate at gt motorsport to see if he could have it in yesterday which he kindly did, i couldnt do it myself due to being at work from 7am until 5.30pm.
anyway it turned out to be the waterpump was shot and looks like it had been bodged on sometime in the past but it finally give us chance to fit the new cam belt kit and also new alternator belt so every cloud and all that :)

bit of a better update for you all, today i received a couple of pics of the fast road head iv had done by charlie at ctm performance looks spot on and iv already had it port matched for a 180 inlet manifold, just waiting on the catcams to arrive and then we can get on with fitting the lot all in one go and getting it mapped up

Should all tie in together to make for a really good performing engine on the road and leave it open to either throttle bodies or a turbo conversion down the line

i received a few more pics of the fast road head last night :)

this combined with the cams /inlet and gti6 tb should transform the flow of this engine