2 questions for carbon fiber bonnets

tod625

Car
2000 Civic
1. how much weight is actually saved between the one the car comes with and a carbon fiber bonnet?

2. how much does one have to spend to get "real" carbon fiber? (that is not a layer of carbon styling over fiber glass)

i'm specifically looking for the OEM styled hoods...trying to build a sleeper.
cool forums btw

Hi tod, old git is probably the chap to answer this one.

I can say that they are substantially lighter. You can open a CF bonnet with your little finger!

Cost is from £500-£1500. Cheap carbon fibre is around but it usually has flaws, a thinner lacquer coat and needs to be painted.

Is this for your Civic?

try to buy the cf bonnett from the states, its cheaper, especially if it is for a civic

1. A hell of a lot. You can get an even bigger saving by going for jsut a skin and pins.

As an example, a Mk1 Punto bonnet weighs about 15kgs. Here are performance trims range of bonnets and prices for the Punto:

Fully Carbon Road-Spec. (4 – 6kg) @ £495 + VAT
Standard Road-Spec (carbon fibre outer skin, fibre glass, glossy black inner skin) (5 – 7kg) £395 + VAT
Fully carbon Race-Spec. (honeycomb core to add strength and stiffness) (2 – 5kg) £395 + VAT
Fully fibre glass Road-spec. (6 - 8kg) £295 + VAT
Fibre glass Race-spec. (3 - 6kg) £195 + VAT

“Road spec” – means direct replacement, full replica inside and out, ready to bolt-on.
“Race spec” means a reinforced outer skin, for use with bonnet pins (no inner frame structure).

2. Price can vary considerably depending on car and quality. Most good quality off-the-shelf CF bonnets for hatchbacks can be had for under £600.

Make sure the one you choose has a UV resistant laquer on it. I have some of Performance Trims CF and it is EXCELLENT quality.

thanks for the fast replys everybody.
yes the car is a 2000 civic, it's the 4 door automatic sedan so it's the last thing i should spruce up. but i want carbon fiber to save weight and fuel if that's realistic...i also just would like to make it into sort of a sleeper.

i'll look into the brands mentioned, definately a road spec hood. i'm going for the easiest install i can do myself.

i've looked around this forum a bit but i can't find any tutorials on changing the hood out...is it very hard? i'm relatively handy but definately not a professional mechanic...there seems to be a lot of talk about imperfections and difficulty lining the hoods up with the mounting system...

You just have to get a well-made one that fits well, and not a cheap one. Fitting a bonnet is easy (even easier with two people), just takes a bit of faffing to align it.

can only go on ehats been said.

Old git ( search for him ) is building an elan. this came with a fiberglass body. most of which is now carbon fibre. think he saved about 5 kgs between is fiberglass and carbon fibre.
agree with MA fitting a bonnet yourself is a pain as trying to hold it up and do 4 bolts while keeping it aligned is hard

hey so one more question: are hood pins really a requirement? i got a sebion brand OEM style hood just hot here today and i think i'm gonna try to install it tonight...i want to avoid the hood pins and make the car look a little cleaner and sleeper looking.

can only go on ehats been said.

Old git ( search for him ) is building an elan. this came with a fiberglass body. most of which is now carbon fibre. think he saved about 5 kgs between is fiberglass and carbon fibre.

Body yet to be done. Original weighs around 100kg, CF should be below 30kg. Original boot 6kg, CF 1.1kg
Original bonnet 7.5kg. CF 1.6kg
Doors still being made, but should see a similar saving. When everything is CF, car should be around 100kg lighter, which equates to approx 100bhp/tonne improvement.

hey so one more question: are hood pins really a requirement? i got a sebion brand OEM style hood just hot here today and i think i'm gonna try to install it tonight...i want to avoid the hood pins and make the car look a little cleaner and sleeper looking.
Pins usually get added if the bonnet starts to flex upwards at the edges with speed. Depending on the shape and design you may get away without needing these.