2.0 8v mk3 1.8 20v turbo conversion

iainh

Car
golf gti
iv jus purchased my first vw its a mk3 golf gti 2.0 8v which i think seriously lacks power the car is really tidy good body work no body mods needed they were all done by the previous owner thats wot attracted me to the car, it also has coilovers, upgraded brakes big wheels and a stainless cat back exhaust. i want to do a 1.8 20v turbo conversion but dont know were to start im just wondering if any 1 can point me in the right direction or put me onto a garage that can do this conversion for me as realisticly i wudnt be able to do this my self i live in the north west

please any 1 help

to put the 1.8t in you would need the engine, gearbox, ecu, loom and clocks. it has been done alot but as the ecu would need the immobiliser code coded out it can be a pain. why not look to the vr engine for a swap ? as theres more reliable tuning options for it

this 20v turbo set up u have for sale will it drop straight into my mk3 golf and do u have all the required parts needed for the conversion

Or does any one know wot is needed to drop a 2.0 16v mk 3 gti engine into it i think it shud be pritty compatible as i have herd these are pritty tunable with good power gains but im new to engine conversions and wud really appreciate sum guidance so sum 1 please help me

i have 90% of the required parts. all the important bits, ie engine, turbo, loom,clocks,immob wiring, ecu etc etc. drop me a pm if your seriously interested as im looking at splitting it cos i can make far more £££ that way! ABF came in the mk3 as standard so is a nice easy swap, but you will still want to spend money tuning it to get decent performance as the mk3 is a bit too lardy for 150bhp to really set the world on fire!

cheers has any one done the engine swap from a 2.0 8v to a 2.0 16v is this difficult would i just need the engine and ecu to do this conversion or am i missing a whole lot of parts

SOME 1 PLEASE HELP the 8v engine is makin me sad the car looks like it has so much more potential but its to slow and im led to believe the 8v engine isnt very good to tune

that is correct. the 8v would cost you far too much money to get to standard 16v power levels, when you could drop in an 16v ABF engine for about £350 all in. easy enough conversion to do, youd need engine, ancillaries,loom, ecu and immob setup. your standard gearbox would work fine, as their is very little difference between the 2.

But, like i said, the 150bhp of the 16v is stil only going to be very average due to the cars weight and crap handling ability.

a 20vT engine would cost you a lot more to do, but has much better/easier tuning potential than the 16v.